Talk

Advanced search

...to hate chokers on young girls

(106 Posts)
Bringmesunshite Sat 29-Apr-17 17:24:30

I admit I'm an old pearl clutcher. I restrain these instincts and let my dd (10) wear make up now and then, I let her wear her hair in a Chelsea bun with a feckin' JoJo bow. I let her wear crop tops and gladiators.
But AIBU to draw the line at a choker. I think they look like dog collars - the kind animals or submissives wear. She has argued for a lattice type one which is slightly less horrible in my opinion but I am still very reluctant.
I am all for her finding her way and/or fitting in with her peers but I bloody hate chokers.

GeillisTheWitch Sat 29-Apr-17 17:29:12

It's just a trend, it was fashionable in the 90s when I was a kid and we all had them. Saying that, I feel the same about crop tops for my DD. I let her get a cheap mesh choker from primark but I really hate seeing young girls in crop tops that show their belly, so I can kind of see where you're coming from.

GahBuggerit Sat 29-Apr-17 17:29:49

It's just funky jewellery, I'm quite sure no one normal thinks of a sub when they see a kid wearing a necklace.

Yabu

Quantanamera Sat 29-Apr-17 17:32:52

It's not the choker but the make up I would draw the line at. Why does a 10 year old need make up?

EdmundCleverClogs Sat 29-Apr-17 17:33:07

Sorry but I think you're being very unreasonable - I used to wear them as part of the 90's trend, wish I could do these days (definitely would be mutton). Put down the copy of 50 Shades....

HoneyDragon Sat 29-Apr-17 17:34:45

Dd is 7 and loves them. You're weird grin

GahBuggerit Sat 29-Apr-17 17:38:06

Oh I missed the makeup? Why are you against a bit of kiddie tat jewellery but ok with a 10 yo wearing makeup?

FauxFox Sat 29-Apr-17 17:43:28

The more you make a fuss about it the more she will want one grin

ScarlettFreestone Sat 29-Apr-17 17:43:55

You let your 10 yo wear make up and crop tops but draw the line at chokers?

Goodness.

SweetLuck Sat 29-Apr-17 17:44:04

I think chokers are a very sexualised type of jewellery, and make up is a complete no no too on a ten year old.

MarcelineTVQ Sat 29-Apr-17 17:44:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PuppyMonkey Sat 29-Apr-17 17:47:00

DD got a pretty choker from Claire's the other week and I can honestly say the thought of "submissives" never entered my head.confused

dinosaursandtea Sat 29-Apr-17 17:47:10

Oh, for heaven's sake! For one thing, most of the fashion chokers you can buy are made of plaited together strands of plastic or velvet, which is a throwback to the 19th century. For another...yeah, that's just stupid.

harderandharder2breathe Sat 29-Apr-17 17:47:18

You sound pretty permissive so not sure why chokers are such an issue for you? It's just a fashion fad like everything else you mentioned

QueenOfThorns Sat 29-Apr-17 17:50:37

Isn't a Chelsea bun a kind of cake? I'm clearly not up to date with the latest hairstyles grin

Purplebluebird Sat 29-Apr-17 17:50:44

Yabu! I used to wear these years ago, it's fashion and a trend again now. I'd never even thought about it having any sort of "sexual" connotations. For that I think you're very unreasonable actually.

Saying that, I wouldn't have my 10 year old wear make up and crop tops, but "choker" would be fine.

Funnyface1 Sat 29-Apr-17 17:53:24

Chokers aren't my favourite thing but I'd be more worried about make up and crop tops to be honest. Having said that I was allowed all these things...

DumbledoresApprentice Sat 29-Apr-17 17:56:21

Chokers on young girls always make me think of Mathilda in the movie Leon with her bruises and her cigarettes. sad I don't think they are especially inappropriate in themselves though. But if you don't like them, you don't like them.

TimeforANewTwatName Sat 29-Apr-17 18:00:39

Another one who thinks you have it backwards.

Make up and crop tops on a ten year old, no

Choker? fine

HappyFlappy Sat 29-Apr-17 18:02:18

I rather like them. They were popular when I was in my teens (no - not nineteenth century - the 60's) We used to seek out really nice velvet and patterned braid and ribbon and make our own to go with different outfits.

<wonders if they are still in the loft>

lalaloopyhead Sat 29-Apr-17 18:03:19

I think as fashions go, Chokers are pretty harmless. DD who is 9 has one and I think it looks quite cute in a 90's throwback sort of way. It was £1 from Primark, so that is a winner for me too.

I draw the line at a giant overpriced grosgrain hair ribbon though...

RJnomore1 Sat 29-Apr-17 18:05:36

I used to make my own in the 90s with velvet ribbon and nice buttons and Velcro.

luckycatclover Sat 29-Apr-17 18:06:05

I see where you're coming from completely but I don't think most people think that, I think they look nice! They're just stylish right now.

originalbiglymavis Sat 29-Apr-17 18:09:43

I like chokers. If it was good enough for princess Alexandra.

I saw my first real life jojo bow this week in deepest sarf east London. I don't get it. The kid looked like a rag doll.

BenadrylCucumberpatch Sat 29-Apr-17 18:14:50

YANBU Op.

I got asked if I have "A black belt in sucking dick" while wearing one last month hmm
Apparently that's how they are seen now? It's become so widespread it has its own meme, I've been informed by DD1.
For that reason alone I don't like them. It's a shame really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now