Talk

Advanced search

To be completely fed up of having no friends?!

(8 Posts)
user1493481203 Sat 29-Apr-17 17:07:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

User1493481203 Sat 29-Apr-17 17:18:53

Spyinthesky Sat 29-Apr-17 17:25:40

It's great hat you have made the first step to arrange to attend the activities. He first one will always be the most stressful but will get easier the more you go!
Good luck smile

Booksandmags79 Sat 29-Apr-17 17:25:49

I think you should feel very positive that despite all of your difficulties you're actively trying to do things and make friends. It's a big step.
Friendships take time to build so try not to be disappointed if it takes a while. You have to keep putting yourself out there. What about online forums for things you're interested in? I know someone who has made 'real life' friends that way.
Just set yourself little challenges. Even if it's saying good morning and a quick chat with the person on the checkout. All these little interactions will give you confidence that you can do it.
Anxiety etc are horrendous to live with so be proud of yourself for getting this far. The fact that you want friends is the first step to getting some. Good luck with the activity I hope you enjoy it despite any nerves.

User1493481203 Sat 29-Apr-17 17:40:29

LadyPW Sat 29-Apr-17 17:45:53

I'm in a fairly similar position to you (but mid 40s) & there just aren't the groups available. Round here it seems largely that autistic people are supposed to stop existing post-18/21. At least you have a support person to start with - that should get you through the worst bit. Once you've been a few times you might feel like it's more in your comfort zone.,.

junebirthdaygirl Sat 29-Apr-17 20:05:22

Do you have support from your family? Thats very tough but you are young so get all the help you can get to help you get back on your feet. Do you see a counsellor?

Booksandmags79 Sat 29-Apr-17 20:09:40

A couple of things that helped me when I was very anxious were firstly to acknowledge I was anxious / nervous / terrified etc and not give myself a hard time for it. You can still do things and be anxious. Anyone would be nervous meeting a group of strangers for the first time. Why would you have to be any different?
Secondly I would try and take notice of my surroundings. What was I hearing, seeing etc. Trying to stay present by noticing things. If your mind goes elsewhere try and bring yourself back by what you can see right at that moment. Sometimes works just well enough to get you back on track.
Wishing you lots of luck, the first step is the hardest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now