Talk

Advanced search

To think preschool selling parents their child's craft is wrong

(19 Posts)
Willyorwonte Sat 29-Apr-17 12:07:01

From time to time our preschool make crafts with the children and then parents are expected to buy them. For example a hand print, or a mothers day card. We are reminded daily to buy them.
Am a grouch for feeling it's an odd and cheeky thing to do?

boffin9207 Sat 29-Apr-17 12:11:37

Why can't the kids just bring the items home with them? Pretty sure we did that at school and our parents weren't made to pay for them! Yanbu.

RedHelenB Sat 29-Apr-17 12:15:22

You are paying for the materials as part of pre school fees so yes they are being very cheeky!

GreatWhites Sat 29-Apr-17 12:18:03

It's very common in schools now, so get used to it. Most classes will make something to be sold at the Christmas or Summer fair. Of course, your child's name will be on it so you have to buy it.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 29-Apr-17 12:18:04

How odd. Totally unreasonable. As a PP said your fees pay for the materials.

UppityHumpty Sat 29-Apr-17 12:19:11

At the preschool I used to use, the money used to go into a pot at the end of the month to support fees for working parents in financial difficulty, so I disagree. If the money goes to good cause it's worthwhile.

sailorcherries Sat 29-Apr-17 12:45:36

I understand buying something your child has made specifically for a fayre, something they wouldn't have done otherwise and supplies have been purchased to be used in this way. However in the normal run of the day if they create a piece of art work or something similar then I think it's incredibly cheeky to ask parents to contribute towards it. Generally, teachers spend a lot of their own money on resources but I could never charge my class (or their parents) to purchase a mothers day card etc.

CinderellaRockefeller Sat 29-Apr-17 12:50:13

Our school give us the original but also the option to buy things as Christmas cards/canvas prints/whatever

And they're an independent school, so masters of fleecing us parents at every opportunity!

hibbledobble Sat 29-Apr-17 15:12:12

They only do this as they need to fundraise.

Unless you are prepared to pay higher fees then yabu.

Catsize Sat 29-Apr-17 15:14:14

Ask them what percentage the artist gets.

insancerre Sat 29-Apr-17 15:16:07

You don't have to buy them
There is a chronic underfunding of preschool so they have to fund raise to survive

insancerre Sat 29-Apr-17 15:16:31

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWkNnMifnMc

Railgunner1 Sat 29-Apr-17 15:24:08

Very odd and lame way to fundraise.

leccybill Sat 29-Apr-17 15:26:45

Never paid a bean for anything of DD's and she's 7 now.
Bit cheeky I think.

TheExuberant1 Sat 29-Apr-17 15:27:33

Been going on for years. I remember buying a picture made from pieces of cut up red square tissue paper stuck on a piece of card....cost me £15 I was an idiot but it was my first child and I felt guilty not buying it!

Scholes34 Sat 29-Apr-17 15:29:57

Way back, many, many years ago when the DC were at preschool, we sometimes paid for artwork when it had been especially and nicely mounted/framed, as an opportunity to fundraise. Most houses in the neighbourhood had the same style painting of daffodils on the wall!

No objection if the fundraising is done in this way. Bit cheeky to do it routinely.

iklboo Sat 29-Apr-17 15:43:46

I was thrown out of Brownies for leading a subversive revolt based entirely on them selling stuff we'd made back to our parents blush

Meekonsandwich Sat 29-Apr-17 16:21:36

I'd be complaining that art and crafts is subjective, how do they know what to charge?!?!

Also, as pp said, what percentage do the artists get? Surely that's child labour ;)

allowlsthinkalot Sat 29-Apr-17 16:39:39

Our school PTA do this. Children are desperate for you to buy the mothers day gift they have put work into...so it's awful if you can't (if you have multiple children it can be £20!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now