Talk

Advanced search

To reprimand another child?

(22 Posts)
Narabug123 Sat 29-Apr-17 10:41:05

I was at the local play park with my daughter, another boy who is a few years older, about 8 years old was lying on the ground and my daughter was standing next to him, he suddenly threw a handful of woodchip up into her face, and it went into her eyes. She didn't say anything but I could tell she was upset and her eyes were irritated and red. I was a few feet away pushing my other child on the swing and I shouted over (but not in an angry way) 'Bob please don't do that again you could really hurt Amy's eyes.' He took absolutely no notice of what I said, so when he was nearer I just reiterated the same thing in a nice and calm voice. Anyway since then I have felt really bad, I don't really like having to say anything to anyone else's child. The mum wasn't there so I felt I had no choice. She then appeared a few minutes later, I am worried she might have heard me and taken offence. I didnt mention it to her as I didnt want to make a big deal out of it. Anyway I just wanted to find out if this was the right thing to do?

BillSykesDog Sat 29-Apr-17 10:42:23

I think that was fine.

TyneTeas Sat 29-Apr-17 10:43:19

Sounds fine to me

BillSykesDog Sat 29-Apr-17 10:43:29

It would have been really upsetting for your child if another child had hurt her and you had not taken steps to defend her. You did the right thing.

NavyandWhite Sat 29-Apr-17 10:44:52

Come on now you don't need MN to tell you what you said was ok surely?

What was the alternative? Risk him doing it again?

RebootYourEngine Sat 29-Apr-17 10:45:42

Of course it was the right thing to do.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Sat 29-Apr-17 10:46:45

Sounds like you did the right thing to me. One of DDs peers spat in her face outside nursery and his twat of a mum just said "oh boys will be boys", at which point I told him that it wasn't kind to spit in someone's face and that he shouldn't do it. His mum was shock at me saying that to her little snowflake. I told her there wasn't a cat in hell's chance of my DD seeing me allowing that to happen to her without saying something and that if she had done it I wouldn't have had to.

Narabug123 Sat 29-Apr-17 10:47:09

Thank you very much. Honestly, I have agonised over this since. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I am quite low on confidence at the moment and really dont like confrontation of any sort, so I just wanted to check in with some other parents that this was the right thing to do. Thank you for the reassurance.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 29-Apr-17 10:48:10

Of course you did the right thing. I've told other peoples kids off loads. I think it's a big problem that people think only a child's parents should tell them off.

NavyandWhite Sat 29-Apr-17 10:48:49

You handled it well OP.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Sat 29-Apr-17 10:49:51

I think the only parent who would be offended by it is one who probably shouldn't be judging anyone else for doing it!

Narabug123 Sat 29-Apr-17 10:51:29

I'm just a bit worried the mum might have heard me, as she appeared just a moment later, despite not being there for the previous 45 minutes. I live near her, so really dont want to have a made an enemy.

honeylulu Sat 29-Apr-17 11:06:50

You did nothing wrong at all. If she's the sort of iteration that would fall out with you for your entirely reasonable reaction, then surely you don't want such an arsehole for a friend anyway.
My son once threw sand in another child's face at the park. I was livid - told him off loudly, made him apologise and we went straight home. If another parent was on the scene first I'd have had no issue with them telling him off. I would have agreed with them.

honeylulu Sat 29-Apr-17 11:07:16

Person not iteration!

halcyondays Sat 29-Apr-17 11:20:28

No reasonable person would take offence at that.

Narabug123 Sat 29-Apr-17 11:23:40

She is not a friend, I hardly know her, I just don't like bad feeling. It's just that she didn't see the incident and may only have heard me telling her son off. The boy is constantly doing things like this and the mother says and does nothing.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 29-Apr-17 11:23:52

You didn't shout at him. You just told him not to do it.

Catzpyjamas Sat 29-Apr-17 11:27:35

I tell other DCs off ALL the time for throwing wood chips at our local park. Especially one boy who may well be Bob grin

Funnyface1 Sat 29-Apr-17 11:42:34

I would have knocked Bob into next week so I wouldn't feel too bad if I we're you.

I'm joking obviously but I would have been very very upset and definitely spoken​ up firmly.

FrancisCrawford Sat 29-Apr-17 11:44:37

I think it's a big problem that people think only a child's parents should tell them off.

This.

Of course you had to deal with the situation. It would have been no different if the mother had been there and was not dealing with it. You don't stand by and watch a child do something dangerous, whether to himself or others.

Don't doubt yourself.

Narabug123 Sat 29-Apr-17 13:26:22

Thank you all

Nanny0gg Sat 29-Apr-17 14:41:32

I think it's a big problem that people think only a child's parents should tell them off.

^^This. With bells on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now