Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to stop period that has ready started?

(17 Posts)
Lucyben14 Sat 29-Apr-17 09:09:49

Seeing new man tonight and have been excited all week! Then period comes out of nowhere this morning - just restarted pill so cycle has obviously been thrown off.
There is no real way of stopping it once started is there?
Urgh... im so dissapointed!

Camnico Sat 29-Apr-17 09:33:48

Yeah you can go to the gp and get tablets to stop them. I done that once when I went a weekend away with an old partner but I started the day before AF

AndNowItIsSeven Sat 29-Apr-17 09:35:51

How new is this man?

Lucyben14 Sat 29-Apr-17 09:39:20

And no GP open on a Saturday around here sad
About a month new... this wouldnt be our first time but it is def off the cards tonigjt now and i won't see him again for a couple of weeks as we both have other commitments!
Gutted... periods are sh*t!

neonrainbow Sat 29-Apr-17 09:40:12

See if you can get notheristone from a o
pharmacy. I think that's what its called you might want to Google!

OnMyShoulders Sat 29-Apr-17 09:40:38

Think Camnico is talking about Norethisterone. You need to start taking it a couple of days before your period though.

Camnico Sat 29-Apr-17 09:40:45

It doesn't matter how 'new' the man is, unless you're looking to judge?

Oh OP that's crap! Being a female can really suck sometimes!

Camnico Sat 29-Apr-17 09:41:31

@onmyshoulders yeah I think that was it! It was a few years ago tho so can't really remember

Lucyben14 Sat 29-Apr-17 09:46:26

Yea I looked up norethisterone and it says needs to be taken in advance.
Ive read online that ibuprofen and lemon can reduce flow and have even read about disposable menustration cups. All seem pretty dubious.
I woke up this morning with the cramps and my heart sunk.. to top it off i feel bloated and gross!

Applebite Sat 29-Apr-17 09:46:29

How long is not necessarily a question for judging, cam - I know I would feel a bit less comfortable talking about periods with someone new than a longer term partner. I'm not saying it's right or even logical but it's certainly how I feel!

Piehunter Sat 29-Apr-17 09:58:02

I've had sex with a softcup in, you can buy them from boots. I had a 4 week period in the new stages of a relationship and my (now DH) really doesn't enjoy period sex, and there's only so many times you can do it in the shower! He was happy enough to go without, I wasn't. You can get beppy menstrual sponges off Amazon that are good but can't be bought anywhere for today I don't think, softcups are a bit like a diaphragm but for periods, they go in the bin after a whole period, about £6 for 2 I think although they also do single use ones, they're called instead in the US I think. You just have to make sure you've put it in right, it should sit just above your pubic bone.

Obviously none of that helps with the bloating etc!

Camnico Sat 29-Apr-17 09:58:40

It's perfectly natural, I understand with some women/men it can be a taboo subject, however, I would expect a certain level of maturity from a partner I was intimate with.

That really does suck OP. Get a nice bath and try relax, that'll hopefully reduce bloating. I'm sure you will both have a good night regardless.

Lucyben14 Sat 29-Apr-17 10:00:06

Oh so Softcups can be brought in boots in UK?

I am a little wary as i have heard horror stories about them getting stuck!

SleepOhHowIMissYou Sat 29-Apr-17 10:01:46

Have you thought about changing to a Mirena coil in the future?

I'm on my second one and haven't had a period in years.

leighdinglady Sat 29-Apr-17 10:02:11

Just do it in the shower wink

FeedTheSharkAndItWillBite Sat 29-Apr-17 10:06:45

Oh wow, I didn't know one could stop periods that have already started? Huh. Interesting.

The first time I has sex with DH (I think it was agter our 2nd date? But we had known each other for quite some time before we even went out...) I was actually on my last day of my period (and my periods have been quite light all my adult life anyway...

There was no blood left on my flappy bits (one swish of paper and I was clean) but he apparently later saw a weird lump of toilet paper in the loo-bin.
And he, having grown up with sisters, apparently knew that I had left a tampon in his bin. I was so embarassed... (even though I had told him about the period situation I couldn't deal with him having seen my tampon/paper bundle...)

Anyhow. I hope you have a great evening/night, whatever you end up doing flowers

HappyFlappy Sat 29-Apr-17 10:12:22

What?!

Let him deal with it. You're a wumman. Wumman things happen.

You can both choose to accept or decline the opportunity for a blood-drenched shag to explore a somewhat messier sexual encounter than usual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now