Talk

Advanced search

PEE

(128 Posts)
kitbabingley Fri 28-Apr-17 16:15:05

IS NOT STERILE!!

^^ This has been a public service announcement on behalf of all those, like myself, who are fed up with seeing/hearing myths like this presented as facts (often in a very smug manner) all over the place. I have no idea how this particular one came to be, but it is incredibly pervasive.

What are your "fgs NO" facts that you NEED to clear up?

Graphista Fri 28-Apr-17 16:16:44

Nurses are not a lesser qualified/skilled version of a dr! Completely different roles.

Footyfan16 Fri 28-Apr-17 16:17:26

1) That you can catch a cold from going out in the cold weather or rain.

Fluffyears Fri 28-Apr-17 16:18:19

The cold is a virus and antibiotics don't work on the cold as it's not bacterial. Also you do not get cold from being cold you catch it from someone spreading the virus. MIL recently got soaked in tyebrainabd decided she would get the cold so took paracetamol to head it off.....all kinds of head shaking at that!

BenadrylCucumberpatch Fri 28-Apr-17 16:19:49

This gem... "The stress of giving up smoking, is more harmful to the baby than actually smoking is" hmm

said no Midwife ever

Moanyoldcow Fri 28-Apr-17 16:27:42

I heard that recently Benadryl - I was dumbfounded that someone was actually that stupid.

teenagetantrums Fri 28-Apr-17 16:30:24

Actually my midwife did tell me that mind you was 24 years ago. She said cut down to 5 day and that would be fine..lol

AntagonyAunt Fri 28-Apr-17 16:32:20

Ooww mythbusters!

Wando1986 Fri 28-Apr-17 16:36:38

Footyfan16, the phrase is "you'll catch cold" as in you'll catch a chill... which you will do.

Not "you'll catch 'a' cold" hmm

requestingsunshine Fri 28-Apr-17 16:51:50

I love 'It's too cold to snow'.

Hmmm, pretty darn cold in the arctic though isn't it.

Wando1986 Fri 28-Apr-17 16:53:54

Too cold to snow means it's going to be an extra cold night because there's no cloud cover. No cloud = no snow.

Some MN users worry me confused

WonkoTheSane42 Fri 28-Apr-17 16:59:33

Hmmm, pretty darn cold in the arctic though isn't it.

There is very little precipitation in the Arctic. It's a desert. However, what snow does fall doesn't melt, which is why it appears constantly snowy. Too cold to snow is true in that the cloud cover required for snow to fall has the effect of warming the atmosphere as well.

Shitalopram Fri 28-Apr-17 17:03:35

"Good things happen to good people"

Confirmation bias-tastic, that one...

Bobbins43 Fri 28-Apr-17 17:07:08

Librarians are trained qualified professionals and do not say "shush" or date stamp books or spend all day reading.

An old telephone box filled with books is not a library

Ohyesiam Fri 28-Apr-17 17:09:32

Urine is sterile.
Unless you have a uti( or septicemia), why do you think it's not op?

Familyof3or4 Fri 28-Apr-17 17:09:55

Vaccines cause autism

Mrsknackered Fri 28-Apr-17 17:12:10

I had the most infuriating neighbour once who told me the following:

'You get done by SS if your kids bath with their dad'

The reason their second child was a girl was because she 'twisted boyfriends balls' cos that's what you have to do you know.

She got pregnant because he came whilst she was on top and that's the position you go in to get pregnant.

I shit you not. This person is probably still spouting this rubbish too her next victim neighbour.

PuppyMonkey Fri 28-Apr-17 17:12:27

I caught a chill while out on a walk at Christmas. I was perfectly fine before and came home and started sniffling. Turns into a really bad cold. I kept saying I was just like a Bronte sister grin

Silvercatowner Fri 28-Apr-17 17:13:22

*Urine is sterile.
Unless you have a uti( or septicemia), why do you think it's not op?*

Presumably because it isn't. Why would it be? Our bodies are a mass of bacteria, we'd be in trouble if they weren't.

WindwardCircle Fri 28-Apr-17 17:14:41

"If you reach for the stars and believe in your dreams you'll succeed" kind of guff. No you won't, not if your dreams are unrealistic you won't. I would love to be a singer, but I have a voice like a yowling tom cat and the musical skills to match. No amount of reaching and believing will turn me into Adele.

I very much want to print a load of stickers saying "set realistic goals then work hard to achieve them" and slap them on every piece of merchandise with crappy, inspirational clap trap on them.

Gallavich Fri 28-Apr-17 17:18:09

What does sterile even mean under these circumstances? That if you pissed on an open would you wouldn't get an infection? That you can use it to wash surgical instruments or babies bottles?
I don't even understand what people mean when they say urine is sterile.

Sonders Fri 28-Apr-17 17:19:08

A guy I worked with was convinced that if you plucked a hair out of a mole it would become cancerous. I actually laughed at how ridiculous that was and he was super offended.

Supermagicsmile Fri 28-Apr-17 17:19:25

My friend always takes paracetamol to 'cure' her cold. When I tried to tell her that was not the case and it wasn't curing anything she wouldn't have it. She also won't get her eyebrows threaded as she said it feels like your insides are being pulled out hmm she has never had it done and this is even after I had it and told her it was fine!!

Cel982 Fri 28-Apr-17 17:20:33

What's a 'chill', exactly, Wando? They never covered that at medical school...

All urine contains bacteria everything in your body does and not all bacteria is bad. Your stomach for instance needs bacteria to function properly.

The too cold to snow thing has hoohaa to do with cloud covering. It's because precipitation generally happens at above freezing temperatures if it becomes very cold it is too dry usually rather than it being actually too cold to snow so there does become temperatures where it is more unlikely for it to snow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now