Talk

Advanced search

Bagpipes!

(47 Posts)
clown503 Fri 28-Apr-17 14:18:48

AIBU to want to punch the twat in the face that's playing bagpipes at the highschool not far from where I live? Arghh the sound is travelling far! My nearly five month old baby is now awake . . . sad

Scottishchick39 Fri 28-Apr-17 14:21:58

YANBU, it can be irritating listening to bag pipes. There's a guy on our high street who plays the pan pipes and it drives me up the wall. He plays the same songs continuously. angry

Heratnumber7 Fri 28-Apr-17 14:22:05

Bloody hate the things they should be banned

There is a definition of a true Scottish gentleman:

One who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't!

SpreadYourHappiness Fri 28-Apr-17 14:26:14

YANBU. I absolutely HATE bagpipes. They were the worst thing about living in Scotland!

ShelaghTurner Fri 28-Apr-17 14:30:39

Where do you live? I adore bagpipes, I'm on my way!

MrsMoastyToasty Fri 28-Apr-17 14:31:04

I love them. However if theyre played badly then it can sound like someone trying to strangle a cat! And they are more suited to outdoors than confined spaces. I like them when played without the drones (the sticky up pipe bit)
I'm English, by the way .

clown503 Fri 28-Apr-17 14:31:25

It's so fucking annoying. Whoever is playing them is shite, and as it's coming from the high school, I doubt they'll be allowed to make money . . .? They shouldn't be allowed. My ears!

DramaInPyjamas Fri 28-Apr-17 14:31:55

Even well played bagpipes sound shite

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 28-Apr-17 14:32:57

My DP calls them agony bags.

DramaInPyjamas Fri 28-Apr-17 14:33:01

All bagpipes = Ross Geller playing bagpipes grin

Igneococcus Fri 28-Apr-17 14:35:44

I like them but our high school pipe band wins serious prizes and often participates in the NY tartan parade, so they are all rather good.
Do you mean the chanter MrsMoastyToasty?

MarklahMarklah Fri 28-Apr-17 14:39:59

I loathe them. There's a guy who sometimes plays them in our high street . Last time he was there when we were, DD (6) made me cross the road "to get away from that dreadful noise, Mummy."

clown503 Fri 28-Apr-17 14:40:03

Haha, I don't mind them if they're played well, and I'm at a ceilidh/ wedding, alcohol also helps grin but my god! I'm living in the highlands of scotland smile fingers crossed it rains and that puts an end to the assault on my ears grin

MrsMoastyToasty Fri 28-Apr-17 14:47:23

Yes, I do mean the chanter (had forgotten the word).
Most of my (scottish) DH's family play the bagpipes, drums, fiddle or harp so we have ready made ceilidhs. DHs cousin was in the Scots guards and has played the pipes solo at Buckingham Palace etc. He also played at our wedding.

Witchend Fri 28-Apr-17 14:47:32

There used to be a bagpipe band that played near where I grew up. And no it wasn't Scotland.

clown503 Fri 28-Apr-17 14:50:06

Haha agony bags! grin

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Fri 28-Apr-17 14:51:15

My cousin plays the bagpipes and lives in Denmark. He plays them on the deserted beach away from any buildings to avoid bothering people instead of practising at home.
The only problems is people think he is performing so anyone walking on the beach comes to watch him, and sometimes they try to give him money 😁

MrsJayy Fri 28-Apr-17 14:56:29

I like them there was a piper who lived near me who used to practise before weddings even the squeezy bag screech i love it. Waking the baby though isn't on. Its the violin in hate goes right through me,

haggisaggis Fri 28-Apr-17 15:05:45

Both ds and I play...neighbours haven't complained about our practice yet. Next door even suggested we march up and down the road while we practised!
Out of tune pipes sound dreadful though.

clown503 Fri 28-Apr-17 15:06:04

As childish as it is, I'm tempted to wander over and unleash my fed up from teething baby on whoever is still badly playing the bloody bagpipes . . . .

DungballInADress Fri 28-Apr-17 15:07:22

Bagpipes are the fine line between music and meaningless noise. I lived in Scotland for 5 years and still never quite got the attraction.

SwearySwearyQuiteContrary Fri 28-Apr-17 15:08:55

YABU

BuckinghamLass Fri 28-Apr-17 15:15:10

I liked them until a summer I worked at a tourist attraction in Scotland. There was a rotating schedule of pipers who played the whole day through. I used to go to sleep with them ringing in my ears.

It was funny though, we got a lot of American tourists and they absolutely loved them, and didn't seem to notice that some of the pipers were godawful!

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 28-Apr-17 15:17:20

_YANBU_

I hate the racket those awful things make whether it's from a skilled bagpiper or just some drunk bam picking them up for a laugh. It always sounds shit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now