Advanced search

Ex Husband historical tax dodging

(10 Posts)
yourcarisnotadiscovery Fri 28-Apr-17 12:13:19

Don't want to dripfeed but also don't want to give away too much! I have just had to fess up and pay tax on a property my ExH and I owned jointly and rented out some years ago. I owned up as I couldn't sleep knowing I owed the money and felt v guilty. Historically he always refused to fill in tax returns and wouldn't let me fill one in either - he was very controlling and abusive and I was genuinely frightened of him and so I did what he told me. I have just had to pay a huge tax bill and fine of over £3k - obviously what I owe HMRC and so I do not begrudge paying them. What irks me is that he has not owned up to his share of the rent - would IBU to dob him in?! Or is this just sour grapes that I am disguising to myself as being a good citizen?

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Fri 28-Apr-17 12:21:00

I think it's your duty to your ex to ensure he too sleeps better in his bed. . . .

SouthWindsWesterly Fri 28-Apr-17 12:22:31

They'll figure it out eventually as now the property is on the radar. Better for then to know now than for the fine and money to rise don't you think?

DJBaggySmalls Fri 28-Apr-17 12:22:40

Of course its not just sour grapes. He made you a criminal. And everyone knows how bad tax dodging is, especially now the national debt is rising.
Doitdoitdoit grin

MrsExpo Fri 28-Apr-17 13:12:18

I wouldn't hesitate. Wrote to HMRC with all the detail you can now that your own liability is fully settled. Why should he get away with it?

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 28-Apr-17 13:22:07

Surely when you filled in your return you indicated the income was from a half share of the property. Did you not state who owned the other half?

sunnysouthend Fri 28-Apr-17 13:41:02

If it was me I would write a letter clearly stating it was jointly owned and that you have only declared your half. I suspect that if you don't you might even get in trouble if/when they eventually find out.

Don't lose any sleep or feel any guilt for your abusive ex. Well done for doing the right thing! halo

goodnessidontknow Fri 28-Apr-17 13:41:12

Have you had help dealing with HMRC? If you were in an abusive relationship which meant you genuinely couldn't file the returns I would suggest there is a case for asking for the fines to be reduced. The tax is owed regardless but the fines can be appealed. Might be worth looking into.

yourcarisnotadiscovery Fri 28-Apr-17 13:45:19

allthebestnames no, it doesn't ask for the address of the property - it merely says "income from property" and the amount - i.e. half the rent. The address was given on last year's return as I forced him to do that one as was divorce year. We share accountants so cannot go into the whole abuse thing with them. The fine is minimal and the lowest percentage they would ask for so I have got away lightly by owning up! I am feeling more inclined to let them know ...thank you!

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 28-Apr-17 15:45:27

When we do ours we always cross reference the other owner on the schedules so they can see the income and expenses tally up with the other owner's share.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: