Talk

Advanced search

to think we vote for a LOCAL MP and not a President in this country - but Theresa May seems to be under the impression we are voting for her

(13 Posts)
Orlantina Fri 28-Apr-17 10:01:38

The picture is about Theresa May.
The repeated phrase is about strong and stable leadership.
She is constantly making it about her vs Corbyn.
I really thought we voted for a local MP.

Pentapus Fri 28-Apr-17 10:14:04

Well, I guess you have a point, but effectively our votes are for both aren't they?

Orlantina Fri 28-Apr-17 10:15:39

We vote for the policies - but Theresa May is making it about HER and Corbyn - not about any actual policies.

Except she's saying - we need strong and stable leadership. Well, what about the actual policies. Or aren't they important?

BeyondUser24601 Fri 28-Apr-17 10:16:45

Corbyn or TM could get hit by a bus on results day. People who voted for "president" would feel stupid then, wouldn't they...
grin

honeysucklejasmine Fri 28-Apr-17 10:17:38

Don't question your ruler, Orlantina wink

BeyondUser24601 Fri 28-Apr-17 10:18:18

The policies are strong and stable, orl grin

Strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable and strong and stable... 😂

Orlantina Fri 28-Apr-17 10:21:29

People are beginning to notice the slogan. It's being repeated.

11 times at PMQs.

The right hon. Gentleman is right: in something over six weeks we will be back at these Dispatch Boxes. The only question is: where will we be standing? Who will be Prime Minister of this great country? He says that the ​choice is clear, and it is. Every vote for him is a vote for a chaotic Brexit; every vote for me is a vote to strengthen our hand in negotiating the best deal for Britain. Every vote for him is a vote to weaken our economy; every vote for me is a vote for a strong economy with the benefits felt by everyone across the country. Every vote for him is a vote for a coalition of chaos, a weak leader propped up by the Liberal Democrats and the Scottish nationalists; every vote for me is a vote for strong and stable leadership in the national interest, building a stronger and more secure future for this country.

Gaslighting. We vote for a local MP, a party but NOT a President.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Fri 28-Apr-17 10:21:34

Tbh I think people do vote for the Prime Minister in a GE. Your local Green Party* might be best for your immediate area, but you might think that on a national scale they're not the best party to have the majority in parliament. So you'd be a bit daft to vote Green*, iyswim.

(* other parties are available)

scaryteacher Fri 28-Apr-17 10:22:20

You wouldn't think so from the amount of comments on here , and on QT last night,saying TM was an unelected PM. She is an elected MP, who was then elected by the Tories to lead the party. To an extent it is about her vs Corbyn, with Brexit, the nuclear deterrent etc. I know who I prefer, and it's not him!

Effectively we do vote for the Prime Minister, because the leader of the party with a parliamentary majority will be asked by HM the Queen to form the government.

Yes, it is indirect, unlike the Presidential elections in the US - but by voting we are attempting to choose which party has the majority and forms the Government, and whose leader will be PM - so you cannot, in practical terms, separate voting for your local MP from voting for a government and the PM.

QuinionsRainbow Fri 28-Apr-17 11:26:13

She is an elected MP, who was then elected by the Tories to lead the party
But she wasn't - she was just the survivor when the others dipped out.

doodlejump1980 Fri 28-Apr-17 12:16:45

Or "STONG" from Scotland's Ruth Davidson grin

Clandestino Fri 28-Apr-17 12:19:53

Chances are, Theresa has fallen in love with what Erdogan just got and is looking for her chance after the Brexit to do the same for her, preferably cementing the Tories rule forever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now