Talk

Advanced search

To refuse to sign this contract?

(8 Posts)
SharkiraSharkira Thu 27-Apr-17 21:18:15

So, when I started my job there was discussion that there would be a zero hours contract but since it was a new company I hoped that maybe if the business was successful in the first few months they would reconsider.

Well, the time has now come that they are talking about signing contracts and it seems that it will be a zero hours contract. Wibu to say I won't sign a zero hours contract? I know I should probably look for another job that has guaranteed hours but jobs are few and far between and tbh at the moment the conditions are work are pretty good - I like my co workers, I don't have to work late nights or bank holidays and that is virtually unheard of in my industry. But I am just not comfortable with signing a zero hours contract as that gives me no guarentee at all about hours and I've worked out I need at least 25hrs a week to afford to live.

I want to stay working there at the moment but wibu to refuse to sign the contact?

JimWithTwoNoses Thu 27-Apr-17 21:22:52

Can't you just discuss it with them first, instead of refusing?
Eg 'hey, I've had a look at the contract and see that it's zero hours, I've been doing x hours on average a week over the past x months, would you consider changing it to minimum 25 hours a week as I need this to live on. I'm really happy with working here and feel it's going well, I don't want to have to start looking for other jobs just because of this one reason.'
Then if they don't change it ask if it'll be reviewed any time soon. Then take it from there.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 27-Apr-17 21:27:42

YANBU. No one can live on a zero hours contract. Not even the famous Cameron who admitted live to Jeremy Paxman that he couldn't.!!
This is the RW where bills need paying.

SharkiraSharkira Thu 27-Apr-17 21:34:51

Yes, Jim I would rather discuss it with them tbh as I am generally happy there and don't really want to leave but I just can't take the risk that a quiet period could come and my hours could drop to nothing. My credit is zero and I have nothing else other than my wages to live on.

Exactly, spider.

I think its really shitty that zero hours contracts are even legal tbh. Aside from one person every single member of staff has children and lives independantly so we are all in the same boat that if we don't work we can't afford to live!

StillDrivingMeBonkers Thu 27-Apr-17 21:35:13

Radio article yesterday about Zero Hours Contracts. McDonald have offered to put all their staff on fixed contracts. 80% have declined, preferring to stay on zero hours.

www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/15/mcdonalds-offer-staff-the-chance-to-get-off-zero-hours-contracts

About 80% of workers in the trial elected to stay on zero hours; of those who took up the fixed-hours option, three of five went for the maximum of 30 hours.

SharkiraSharkira Thu 27-Apr-17 21:39:39

I think giving someone the option is fine but to insist on it is out of order. In my particular workplace, out of all the staff, 95% would take full time, fixed hours contracts if they were available, the only exception being me (until this summer when I finish uni ) and 1 other person who has another full time job.

underneaththeash Thu 27-Apr-17 21:44:12

How long have you been working there? You already have an implied legal contract as you are working for that company - this explains it

www.gov.uk/employment-contracts-and-conditions/overview

Do the company realise that zero hours mean that you also have the right to turn down work? It may well work better for them too if you have a minimum number of ours specified in your contract.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 28-Apr-17 08:16:27

stillDriving that will be so they get to choose their hours. On a zero hours contract, you don't have to accept any hours offered so would benefit them if they need the rota to be flexible. Looking at it from that angle it makes sense.

Shakira I can understand your frustration, it must feel vert scary not knowing your hours are guaranteed even if you've worked that shift pattern for a good while. I would raise it with them and ask if they'll reconsider. Reiterate that you enjoy the job but the lack of security is making you feel a little uneasy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now