Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much the temperature matter for a newborn?

(11 Posts)
canihaveanewname Thu 27-Apr-17 17:40:49

I've got a gro egg and a 4 month old. We're away in a hotel where it turns out the windows don't open and the air con doesn't work. It's currently 23.7 degrees according to the egg. Guidance is 18-20.

He sleeps in a sleepyhead in a cot.

Do we need to move hotels?

Waterlemon Thu 27-Apr-17 17:45:08

Many countries are far hotter than 18 and their babies do just fine don't worry.

Just put him to sleep without any blankets.

SquatBetty Thu 27-Apr-17 17:52:55

My DS was born on the first day of a heatwave in the UK. One night it was something ludicrous like 28 degrees in our bedroom so I stripped him down to his nappy and put a muslin over him - he was fine!

I think the 18-20 degree limit on the Gro Egg assumes you'll also have your baby in a sleep suit and in a gro bag or blankets etc

canihaveanewname Thu 27-Apr-17 17:52:57

Is the SIDS guidance about them overheating? I could use no blankets ?

Doublevodkaredbull Thu 27-Apr-17 17:54:09

What is he wearing? Vest and thin cellular blanket should be ok.

gandalfspants Thu 27-Apr-17 18:04:07

Vest and thin blanket. Sort sleeves or no blanket if it goes over 24.

Keep checking if they're hot to touch (back/chest) or sweating, less layers if they are (I have quite a hot baby so she wears less that the guidelines.

I use this as a rough guide:

gro.co.uk/what-to-wear/

Tootsiepops Thu 27-Apr-17 18:07:16

Ask for a fan for your room too. I think there's evidence that they can help prevent SIDS as they keep the air moving round the room. It won't necessarily reduce the temperature any though, and you mustn't have it blowing directly on the baby.

canihaveanewname Thu 27-Apr-17 18:25:25

They've no fans hmm

Thanks for advice smile MN a lifesaver as always

AudreyBradshaw Thu 27-Apr-17 18:30:18

Gro eggs are judgemental ovoid bastards. I hated ours.

Vest and a thin blanket would probably be fine and definitely ask to see if the hotel can provide you with a fan.

TooGood2BeFalse Thu 27-Apr-17 18:44:39

OP please don't worry too much, I live in Cyprus and we are advised to avoid air con with teeny babies.When my son was newborn last summer, temps would rise to 38 in the day, and stay about 29 at night.You are absolutely right to follow SIDS guidelines in ideal temperature, but I think around 23 would still be fine.
18-20 degrees would have my kids waking up cold with the recommended layers.

Trifleorbust Thu 27-Apr-17 18:58:17

I would just put the baby in a vest with a thinner blanket. It's warm but nothing out of the ordinary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now