Talk

Advanced search

To tell you i have just run 8 miles and im fat

(66 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Thu 27-Apr-17 14:04:08

Not so stealth boast but i have just run for 8 miles around the woods. I am fat, obese according to the bmi bullshitometer.

I am feeling very proud of myself. i have gone from 15 to 13 stone and still on a diet of sorts.

I am blatantly boasting but i just want to put it out there to other people like myself (and people that see a fat person and assume they are just lazy and greedy)
That just because you are bigger doesn't mean you can't run. Im only 5ft 3in so when i say fat i mean fat but i am fairly fit compared to colleagues and i run at the speed of snail but i can do it and if i can do it.....

I also have mh issues but exercise (along with counselling and life going my way a little bit more ) has helped me come off meds.

It took me a long time and a lot of self loathing but i feltit was now or never. im 46.

NurseP Thu 27-Apr-17 14:09:04

LEM, This absolutely should be a stealth boast!!! Well done! X

Hairyfairy01 Thu 27-Apr-17 14:09:29

Well done! You have every right to feel proud of yourself. I'm a good 2 stone overweight but can run. I did a marathon last October and have another one this October. Size is no barrier to running.

CheesyCrust Thu 27-Apr-17 14:20:24

Good for you.

It should be a proper boast, no stealth necessary.

I remember seeing a sign saying "never laugh at a fatty at the gym". Anyone trying to change themselves for the better should be encouraged.

8 miles is a very impressive distance.

Pombearsandnaiceham Thu 27-Apr-17 14:21:18

Well done smile

trevortrevorslattery Thu 27-Apr-17 14:23:45

YYYEEEEEAHHHHH!!!! well done!!!

SillyLittleBiscuit Thu 27-Apr-17 14:25:12

Whooop! Love it - well done!

winefortea Thu 27-Apr-17 14:27:01

Well done! And I agree with the PP who said there is no need for it to be a stealth boast! You should be rightly proud!

Howlongtillbedtime Thu 27-Apr-17 14:28:51

Well done you ! I am the same age and similar weight and i have just finished couch to 5k and am now toying with doing the wok programme .

8 miles is bloody amazing !

FlyingElbows Thu 27-Apr-17 14:31:25

Good on you, you boast away! I'm two stone since January and I hope to be as brave as you are at some point this year. For the moment I'll just boast about my smaller knickers!! grin

givemestrengthfella Thu 27-Apr-17 14:33:11

That's absolutely fantastic! Round of applause!flowers

I'm needing to get off my backside and do the same, what have you done diet-wise to shift the weight?

Howlongtillbedtime Thu 27-Apr-17 14:33:37

The wok programme sounds more fun than the reality . What I actually meant was the 10k programme !

MumBod Thu 27-Apr-17 14:34:34

Fantastic!

I'm also an overweight runner. Did my first 5k yesterday, will be 43 next week and could stand to lose a good two stone.

We can do it!

KikiDeliversCakes Thu 27-Apr-17 14:35:13

Well done you LEM, no stealth required - you've every right to be proud. And also very kind of you to encourage others, thank you.

TriJo Thu 27-Apr-17 14:35:26

Well done - both on 8 miles and the weight loss! You should be very proud of yourself.

ToughItOut Thu 27-Apr-17 14:37:57

8 miles, blimey!! Well done! You should be feeling proud!!

NameChanger22 Thu 27-Apr-17 14:39:10

I understand why you've posted this.

I'm overweight but I do loads of exercise every day, much more than is recommend, on average about 1.5 hours a day. I've exercised all my life and I've never been a lazy person, I'm constantly busy.

When my doctor told me I was overweight and suggested I start exercising I decided I didn't like her anymore.

LittleGwyneth Thu 27-Apr-17 14:53:44

That's almost a half marathon. You are a SUPERSTAR.

skyzumarubble Thu 27-Apr-17 14:55:22

I'm fat. I'm also the fittest I've ever been at nearly 40.

Good on you op!

EmmaGellerGreen Thu 27-Apr-17 14:55:42

Fantastic! Well done! 8 miles is an impressive distance, you should feel very proud of yourself!

IJustLostTheGame Thu 27-Apr-17 15:01:17

I couldn't run 8 yards and I'm a size 8. My size 16 friend can go for 10 miles.
Big or small you're hardcore and bloody good for you.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 27-Apr-17 15:02:02

just stopped eating shite tbh. I used to say i don't know why im fat i don't eat hardly anything. But when you start looking at what you eat its a wake-up call. I do my fitness pal but i don't stick to it rigidly - so if i go out for lunch i eat what i want within reason. generally restrict calories to 1400 a day.

cut back massively on alcohol.

I don't manage to exercise regularly as i work stupid hours. I have had a major upset at work and needed to run off the worry. Have managed to get my head around alot of things (corporate takeover sad) and feel more positive for the run.

ShowOfHands Thu 27-Apr-17 15:02:34

Well done. Please boast. You deserve to enjoy your brilliant achievement.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 27-Apr-17 15:03:58

Namechanger - i had a dr recommend diet and exercise and i told him to take his own advice as he was a fat bastard. To be fair he tookit well.

toolonglurking Thu 27-Apr-17 15:07:23

Well done you!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now