Advanced search

To ask you to write me a letter I can't bring myself to write?

(17 Posts)
AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 27-Apr-17 13:35:39

I need to write to my old landlord and let her know that I have abandoned the tenancy on advice from the police and women's aid; and therefore the other person on the tenancy needs to be persued for the rent. I'd also like to ask for my half of the deposit back although I am aware I probably won't get it.

I can't phone or visit her for my own safety. I think writing to her is my only option. I've been trying to write it for hours but can't get the words out. I have a police incident number I can give her.

It's a DV situation but I need to be careful because she's in touch with my abuser and I don't want her to pass anything on. He can't find out where I am.

PeaFaceMcgee Thu 27-Apr-17 13:46:16

Dear A

I am writing to inform you of my surrender of tenancy with immediate effect. My ex B is now the sole tenant in residence.

I have abandoned the tenancy agreement following advice from the police and Women's Aid, following incidents of domestic abuse (crime ref no blah blah).

I would appreciate the return of 50% of the deposit paid on (date) if possible please (give bank details).

Thank you for your assistance in this matter, and please note that my contact details are sensitive and confidential. Please do not disclose to B under any circumstances, for my safety.

Yours etc

itshappenedagain Thu 27-Apr-17 13:47:52

Hi! Sorry to hear your circumstances, it's completely shit that you have had to move. Ive been there, but thankfully had a lot of support and a great landlord. I would be very honest, and i would also give your crime reference number (s) if possible, as this will allow your landlord to understand the severity of your situation. Just be very clear that you haven't lived there since x date and this is why. Keep copies of the letter and send it via email if possible do they can't say they didn't receive it.
I hope you are as happy in your nee home as I am in mine.

MyOtherNameIsTaken Thu 27-Apr-17 13:48:46

Don't include your current address in the letter?

anotherpoisonprince Thu 27-Apr-17 13:49:58

PeaFace beat me to it.
Well done for getting out Anchor flowers hope life gets easier for you now.

Sleepdeprivedredhead Thu 27-Apr-17 13:53:20

Can you use your parents/ a friend's address (that the ex has anyway)?
Unfortunately I suspect you will not receive any of the deposit. Hopefully though the landlord will only pursue your ex in the event of non payment.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt Thu 27-Apr-17 14:08:52

I'd be ultra cautious (but then I usually am in situations like this).

Can you ask her for a cheque rather than a bank transfer, and get it sent to the Women's Aid office if they'll let you?

AsthmaQ Thu 27-Apr-17 14:21:03

Is your deposit held in protection scheme - contact them and find out how you go about getting half of it back.

I have used my GP address for times like this (I vote from their address). You may want to ask them if you can do that for this.

DuchessK Thu 27-Apr-17 14:32:51

Would it be helpful to set up a PO box rather than actual address?

AsthmaQ Thu 27-Apr-17 14:43:12

DuchessK, as you've got a couple of addresses couldn't you offer that one of those be used for a correspondence address?

Sunnyshores Thu 27-Apr-17 14:44:01

Im sorry your going through this, but hope you are now safe and able to start rebuilding your life.

Im a landlord and tbh all you need to say right now, is that youve moved out following domestic abuse and therefore x is now the sole tenant, ask to be contacted when the deposit is refunded. Give an email, nothing else, no further details they're not needed and may put you in danger.

Legally you are still responsible for unpaid rent, any damages etc until the end of the tenancy you signed up for. Likewise, the deposit is protected until the tenancy ends, so you wont get it back now.

Dont make this a big stress for yourself, ll just needs to know you're not living there anymore, so keep it very short and simple and forget about it until the tenancy ends.

gobbynorthernbird Thu 27-Apr-17 14:46:11

Although I understand why you had to leave, surely you are still liable for the rent?

AsthmaQ Thu 27-Apr-17 14:46:16

"Likewise, the deposit is protected until the tenancy ends, so you wont get it back now. "

Really? I got mine back part way through as they had to change the tenancy and remove my name... Otherwise I would have been responsible for damage he would have caused just because he was an emotional abusive asshole. Removing my name from the tenancy meant there would be no damage to the property.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 27-Apr-17 15:43:19

Thank you all, you've been really helpful.

I don't know if he's staying or ending the tenancy; but I don't think it matters. I can't pay my half of the rent because I'm using the money to keep myself off the streets; I've got no option.

This is one of the scariest things I've done. Having nowhere to live is horrible sad

DaniHood Thu 27-Apr-17 16:05:56

Have you set up a new bank account since leaving? Some banks use location specific sort codes something to think about if you give bank details flowers

PeaFaceMcgee Thu 27-Apr-17 16:06:50

flowers you can include a blank 'Surrender of Tenancy' form for the LL to fill out & return to you (safely) as well - even if emailed. With this signed - it legally releases you from your obligations. Templates online if you Google x

justkeepswimmingg Thu 27-Apr-17 19:09:45

OP I just want to say well done for getting out. Might be worth trying to seek advice from a third party (e.g. Citizens advice), about the legal side to forfeiting a tenancy midway. As it's a joint tenancy, it could cause complications in terms of unpaid rent, which cause result in a court case - alongside your ex.. defiantly find out the legal side to ensure your safety flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: