Talk

Advanced search

To ask about living with exposed brick walls

(10 Posts)
JumpingAtShadows Thu 27-Apr-17 09:27:41

Hi there,

Wondering on opinions of people who live with exposed brick walls, in terms of practicalities of living with them, are they colder / noisier etc? In particular those who have exposed brick on the inside of an external wall

Applebite Thu 27-Apr-17 09:29:15

Ex had a warehouse loft conversion with all exposed brick. It was gorgeous but it did cost him a fortune in heating (mind you it was all open plan and double heighted and even triple heighted in one spot).

How much brick are you talking about here?

mrbob Thu 27-Apr-17 09:43:14

Bricks act as thermal mass so if they have decent insulation behind them they actually store heat

JumpingAtShadows Thu 27-Apr-17 09:59:30

How much brick are you talking about here?

It is the length of wall that runs up the side of the stairs. With the rest of the hall/landing plastered. We thought it could make a nice feature wall

There is outside rendering on the house

I feel nervous of spending a fortune on this, and it turning the house in to a cold place or more noise

But I do love the look of nice exposed brick work

RedBullBlood Thu 27-Apr-17 10:35:46

I have exposed internal brick walls and haven't noticed them being colder. They will, however, give you a lovely scrape if you are as clumsy as me and bump into them. When my dc were smaller they also left a bit of skin on them occasionally.

JumpingAtShadows Thu 27-Apr-17 10:50:28

Thanks RedbullBlood - do you have any brick walls that are external facing? thank u

FlyingElbows Thu 27-Apr-17 11:06:02

I had exposed brick in my old kitchen. Gorgeous but a serious dust trap. Possibly because I'm not that big on dusting though! We didn't have any coldness or noise issues.

BadKnee Thu 27-Apr-17 11:41:00

Friend had them in flat. Upstairs neighbour did major renovations Dust from walls was unbelievable!

JumpingAtShadows Thu 27-Apr-17 11:46:40

Gorgeous but a serious dust trap

OOOooo great point thank you for that, hadn't thought of ongoing issues

skyzumarubble Thu 27-Apr-17 14:13:28

We have exposed brick on the internal wall in our loft conversion. It looks fab but it does get dusty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now