Talk

Advanced search

Next door's dog

(13 Posts)
myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 26-Apr-17 21:47:27

Just a rant really as I doubt there's anything I can do. Next door neighbour has a small yappy dog which barks constantly. It's been barking all evening and does most evenings. If we are talking loudly in our house and have the window open it sets it off. If we go outside to peg washing out, play etc it sets it off. But the most annoying thing is it will bark until late at night and starts up again very early in the morning. Is this normal?

Wolfiefan Wed 26-Apr-17 21:50:18

Is it shut in the garden?
No it's not normal. It's a noise nuisance.

Trustyourself2 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:57:15

Can you tell if the dog's distressed? Is it outside all the time? If so, I'd report it to the RSPCA or a local dog rescue. If it's not a case of neglect and you've asked the owners to take control but they haven't, then you should report it to your local authority.

specialsubject Wed 26-Apr-17 22:00:04

DEFRA have a leaflet on this. Start with a polite request , but as that will almost certainly be a waste of time, go to the Council.

No one reasonable keeps a dog suffering like this, let alone the neighbours.

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 26-Apr-17 22:00:07

It seems pretty happy. There's at least one child living there and I see it playing with him so I think it's pretty happy. And when the owner is in the garden she does tell it to stop but I think she must leave it out in the evening or in the outhouse (lean to).

specialsubject Wed 26-Apr-17 22:26:41

You are very tolerant...

That level of noise nuisance is completely unacceptable.

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 26-Apr-17 22:27:39

It's finally stopped...grin

austenozzy Wed 26-Apr-17 22:36:12

Keep a log of the times and duration. Keep it unemotional, just facts but reasonably detailed. If you find yourselves going to environmental health re noise nuisance it will be a good head start.

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 26-Apr-17 23:08:14

Do I have a case though? I don't want to be an annoying neighbour. I'm a bit worried about the dog though

Trustyourself2 Wed 26-Apr-17 23:28:35

If the dog's being neglected, someone has to look out for it. Give the RSPCA a call. They're not great at the best of times, but they might make a visit to the address, just to have a chat with the owners. You shouldn't have to endure neighbour noise, so yes, you do have a case.

BrandMombie Wed 26-Apr-17 23:32:51

We have someone that lives near us with a dog like that. I can see there back garden, but we aren't technically neighbours. Our gardens all connect to make a square for the car park, if that makes sense? Anyway the dog barks at every little noise I.e someone walking past, talking in their garden, someone breathing. It's a pain, but I'm pleased they aren't next door to us. I have heard from neighbours that have complained that it's a rescue dog, and had been through quite a lot so it's generally nervous of unknown sounds. I don't hear the dog half as much as I used to, so I'm assuming it's improved.
Some dogs are also naturally guarding, so I'm sure the dog is just protecting the house, although I'm sure that doesn't make it any less of a nuisance to you. Just think of the positive that it could deter potential thieves from attempting to break into your home, as the dog barking will scare them away through fear of alerting someone.
I doubt it's an animal welfare issue, but if in doubt always report.
flowers

Crowdblundering Wed 26-Apr-17 23:35:46

Are you me OP?

NDN hated us and sold up and moved last year. People who bought it met us and said they are going to rent it, said jokingly please don't rent to anyone with loads of cars (no ORP) and dogs (semi detached).

Very nice new neighbours turn up with three cars and two small yappy digs who are left alone all day barking at the slightest noise or anyone walking past.

My peaceful life is no more sad

londonrach Wed 26-Apr-17 23:56:56

Pub near us has two that yap for hours. Reported to dog wardan and council. Either interested. Dogs still yap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now