Talk

Advanced search

To ask, if you have a Juliet balcony..........

(61 Posts)
Fivepie7 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:38:42

If you have a bedroom with a Juliet Balcony (or any door) do you sleep with the door open in the Summer months?

We have one in our first floor bedroom but I always have to shut and lock it before going to sleep, just wondered if I was being OTT. Does anyone know the general house insurance opinion on this?

X

NancyDonahue Wed 26-Apr-17 16:44:17

I don't have one but can you put it on the latch so you get some air flow?

ForalltheSaints Wed 26-Apr-17 16:45:17

No, road noise is too near.

OlennasWimple Wed 26-Apr-17 16:45:34

No, I close ours (mostly to prevent bugs getting in, but also because some of our neighbours can see into our room from certain aspects of their property, and I don't want to be watched when I'm asleep!)

dingit Wed 26-Apr-17 16:48:30

Yes but ours is a loft bedroom. Can't see anyone climbing up there. Dh has it open most of the year while I freeze.

CaulkheadNorth Wed 26-Apr-17 16:50:15

I had one in the house I've just moved from. I slept with it ajar a lot. First floor.
I'm definitely on the relaxed end of the scale though.

December11 Wed 26-Apr-17 17:04:05

I have one in my bedroom. I do sleep with it open in the Summer. Never been an issue. My door is a sliding door, for this type you can get a bar to place so the door couldn't be opened further then you wish if you are concerned about security.

forlornalien Wed 26-Apr-17 17:04:43

Yes, we're not overlooked and it's nice to get the breeze. We can put it on the latch and have it open a bit if we want.

PovertyPain Wed 26-Apr-17 17:08:21

Spiders. Spiders. Spiders. Nope nope nope.

Katedotness1963 Wed 26-Apr-17 17:10:26

We had a balcony on our bedroom. The doors sort of tilted in as a setting and we did that at night. They were fixed at the bottom but open at the top, like a window. Did I explain it well? We also hung bug mesh stuff to keep mozzies out, I have an allergy to their bites.

PugwallsSummer Wed 26-Apr-17 17:14:36

We leave both doors wide open on the warmest nights. We're not overlooked though.

piddleypower Wed 26-Apr-17 17:19:06

I'd be too worried to leave mine open. I leave my top sash window open.

SapphireSeptember Wed 26-Apr-17 17:27:14

Maybe you could get a security screen door? It'll let the air in but keep out bugs, burglars and any cats that may try and visit, (the cat visiting happened to my friend, she woke up to a cat purring on her pillow.)

fruitpastille Wed 26-Apr-17 22:03:25

I would but i had a bat come in one night while breast feeding DD and scared the living daylights out of me!!

Ferrisday Wed 26-Apr-17 22:09:17

Er yes, it's just like having the window open

LordAnthony Wed 26-Apr-17 22:32:10

I have nothing to add as I don't have one, but I have a question.

Juliet balconies, what's the point?

Isn't it just a big window with a child's stair gate nailed to the outside?

What does it avail you?

SaucyJack Wed 26-Apr-17 22:34:41

We're in a first floor flat with a balcony in the lounge, and I wouldn't ever leave it open at night.

HeddaGarbled Wed 26-Apr-17 22:49:28

I don't understand why the balcony (Juliet or otherwise) makes a difference. Surely, it's just as easy (difficult) to put a ladder up to/climb up to a window as it is to a balcony.

I wouldn't leave a ground floor door or window open at night but first floor with no obvious means of access and not in a high crime area, I would definitely leave it open in summer.

Tapandgo Wed 26-Apr-17 23:10:31

Got one - wouldn't leave the French doors open all night. Doesn't seem safe to do so, but don't like the idea of flying creatures coming in.

As for what the point of them is - I guess so you don't fall out when the French windows are open?

Ginkypig Wed 26-Apr-17 23:14:16

My friend is on the 2nd floor she has a balcony with a window and a door next to it. we had been in the kitchen making a cup of tea and got a massive fright when we found her teenage nephew sitting in the living room having climbed up and coming in through the open balcony door!

He said well I buzzed but you didn't hear me aunty and I saw the balcony door open so I just climbed up!

NancyWake Wed 26-Apr-17 23:38:56

Yes but I'm on the second floor. Wouldn't leave it open if I were in the first floor.

highinthesky Wed 26-Apr-17 23:39:54

No way! In London it's like inviting criminals in for tea! shock

Ethylred Wed 26-Apr-17 23:46:17

Juliet balconies, what's the point?

Stupid to expect romance on AIBU but lordy lordy LordAnthony, you didn't have to kill it with a fucking axe.

kel1493 Wed 26-Apr-17 23:53:22

I think it would depend on the area.
When I lived at my mums it wasn't a great area, but at times it was so hot I had to leave my windows open.
Where I live now again I haven't had a summer without my ds in our room yet, so kept Windows closed. This summer I would leave them open if necessary.

Scrubba Wed 26-Apr-17 23:58:18

We did in our last house, we left it open on hot hot nights and it took some getting used to (complete worrier here) we had a lovely view and it was fab to wake up to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now