Talk

Advanced search

...To not understand the new speeding fine rules?

(31 Posts)
DalekBred Wed 26-Apr-17 15:57:43

so. a 30 speed limit. should be doing that and not a notch more, no?

But the news said that if a dirvers caught doing over 50 in a 30 zone THEN they'll be fined.

How does that make sense/? Its anything over 30? Isnt it? so does that mean people can do 45/48/49 and be okay in a 30 zone?

That's what seems to come across.

Also, in a 40 zone dual carriageway, if someone is overtaking on the outside lane that mean they can carry on doing well over 40 in a 40 zone?

(Havent been driving long, I stick to the limits, and Im confuaed by all this).

CherryChasingDotMuncher Wed 26-Apr-17 15:59:51

I could be wrong but I think you're fined a weeks wages if you do over 50 and the normal amount for if it's below that? Or something like that (heard it on the radio)

TheNameIsBarbara Wed 26-Apr-17 16:03:44

No, the fines are now based off income. So anything up to 10 miles over the speed limit, then the fine is calculated at 25%-75% of your income. Speeding between 10-20miles over the limit then the fine is calculated at 125% of your income and risk of a ban up to 28 days. Over 21 miles over the speed limit you can be fined 175% of your income and at risk of disqualification - the old disqualification limit was a ban up to 56 days but Magistrates can now exceed this limit if grossly overspeeding took place.

Bans are limited in value up to £1000 for normal roads and £2,500 for motorways.

These fines are massively increased compared to the previous sets of fines and the disqualification periods are longer. HTH.

xForsythia Wed 26-Apr-17 16:05:03

income-based speeding fines...

Absolutely disgraceful system. And yes, I am aware that everyone should respect the speed limits, but that's not the point.

Stormtreader Wed 26-Apr-17 16:05:28

Thats only for the top of the three bands.
Its "1-10 miles over, 1/2 weekly income fine. 11-20 miles over, 1 weeks income. 21+ is 1 1/2 weeks income". There are points/bans on top as well i think too.

www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/the-uks-new-speeding-fines-explained

DalekBred Wed 26-Apr-17 16:07:38

okay, but if you go even at 32 in a 30 shouldn't that count? (and the amount of people I see up my chuff as Im doing the limit and tailgating me ,) and then finding an opportunity to pass and stay speeded up? why are they never caught?

I thought all roads, main and other had cctv or speed cameras?

ContraryToPopularBelief Wed 26-Apr-17 16:08:16

What if you're self employed? Or a SAHP? Or recently made redundant?

sparepantsandtoothbrush Wed 26-Apr-17 16:09:39

Why is it based on wages? I don't even work! So I can speed but get less of a punishment than someone who does work? Bonkers confused

xForsythia Wed 26-Apr-17 16:10:14

If your partner is a SAH parent, you'd better put the fine on his/her name!

clearly not a legal advice

DalekBred Wed 26-Apr-17 16:10:40

contrary whoever a person is or their circumstances theres still no excuse for breaking the law and they'll have to pay somehow or have their car impounded or something, I should think.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 26-Apr-17 16:14:22

It's designed so that proper who break the speed limit by a higher amount are punished more. 2mph over the speed limit isn't going to make a huge difference to safety, but 15-20mph over is obviously much more dangerous.

Not sure I agree with the proportion of salary thing, but I do agree penalties should be higher for driving so much over the limit.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 26-Apr-17 16:21:00

Of course people can't do well over 30 in a 30 zone. You must have misheard, or they must have said it wrong. I've heard that they can measure it so accurately now that they will ticket you at 1 or more mph above the speed limit, but it is graded so you are punished more harshly for being 20 mph above then speed limit than you are for 1 mph.

ForalltheSaints Wed 26-Apr-17 16:50:08

Driving bans would be the same for all, much better in my view. Longer if you do over a certain speed. And an end to the hardship defence that fools a lot of judges.

Over 1,500 people a year die in this country in road accidents. Speed is a major contributor.

JanetBrown2015 Wed 26-Apr-17 17:15:26

Based on gross salary is very unfair as some people don't have ap enny left over once they have paid for food, work travel costs, full time baby care and rent and other people earn the same but have an unmortgaged house, a rich partner and hardly any costs.

Mind you I don't go over the speed limit so it wouldn't affect me.
However all those young lads who speed presumably get off without these new fines as they don't earn anything.

Majorgoodwinschickenbeatstrump Wed 26-Apr-17 17:43:05

So if someone is unemployed what will they pay? confused sounds absolutely stupid. People fear points more than fines.

pizzaeatingmonkey Wed 26-Apr-17 19:45:56

I've read somewhere that he minimum fine is £200, regardless of you earning less than this in a week!

Instasista Wed 26-Apr-17 19:48:29

I find it bonkers that people could pay 125% of their wages. Are they not supposed to pay their bills that month or something?
As a PP said what about people with no wages?!

BarbaraofSeville Wed 26-Apr-17 19:55:26

They will probably allow payment plans if people can't afford to pay it all in one go.

It's probably because, to a lot of people, £60 isn't that much of a deterrent. There was a thread not so long ago, where it was below the average cost per person of a night out drinking.

Birdsgottaf1y Wed 26-Apr-17 20:00:57

"Why is it based on wages? I don't even work! So I can speed but get less of a punishment than someone who does work? Bonkers"

It's supposed to be the same punishment, because it puts people in the same hardship.

That makes sense, however the fine on a motorway is capped at £2.5k, which wouldn't be any hardship on a high earner.

You get a time period to pay it.

Speeding isn't something that you can't avoid and it kills and injures people. In the past things haven't been fair,i think that there should be more long prison sentences, because it's a premeditated act.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 26-Apr-17 20:03:39

Yabu as you clearly haven't read it, over 50 in a 30mph zone is the top level, there's also 31-40 and 41-50 that have lower penalties

I think it's fundamentally unfair as some people will pay nothing or token amount. There's a maximum fine amount but doesn't appear to be a minimum. I think there should be a minimum of at least what it was before.

If you can't afford a fine, don't speed. Simple.

pinkmagic1 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:04:00

In some ways it's a good idea. The current £100 fine is a small fortune to a minimum wage shop worker with a family to feed but just a drop in the ocean to a premiership footballer for instance.

WhatHaveIFound Wed 26-Apr-17 20:11:51

What about the self employed? Some weeks i earn nothing and others I earn £1000+. How will the fines be worked out?

Not that it matters as it's over 12 years since i was fined for speeding. I'm older and more sensible now and drive a Volvo.

msrisotto Wed 26-Apr-17 20:18:07

Are they doing away with the speeding awareness courses then?

hungrywalrus Wed 26-Apr-17 20:25:01

While I agree in principle, I can't help but get the feeling that there are some areas in the country where the councils have purposefully made it easy to speed by having varying speed limits on the same road for no apparent reason. I mean it can go 50 to 30 then 20 and if you miss it, you'd be liable for a pretty hefty fine. There are a few boroughs in London where this seems to be common. Sure you should drive with care and notice speed limits, but those who make the rules should make it easy to comply. The aim of the fines should mainly be as a deterrent to dangerous driving, not as a way to make money for cash-strapped councils.

Considering that a very large proportion of the population doesn't have much money at the end of the month, or are in the red, taking a portion of weekly income would seriously penalise anyone who is hard up.

msrisotto Wed 26-Apr-17 20:43:25

I agree with you hungrywalrus, smart motorways change the speed limit altogether too much. I want to focus on the traffic around me actually, not glue my eyes to the speedo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now