Talk

Advanced search

To a when your children knew the correct pronouns to use?

(6 Posts)
TattiusTeddius Wed 26-Apr-17 15:31:37

NOT a trans thread! wink

My DD is almost 6 and doesn't use the correct pronouns for people. She isn't consistent, she knows 'she' and 'her' go together and and 'him' and 'he' go together, but she can't always apply it to the correct sex. For example she'll call a male friend she/her for a few days (I always correct her) and then he'll be him/he for a while, and then she'll go back. She has never really grasped it, and does this with everyone in her life.

Is it normal for a child her age to get pronouns mixed up? How old were your children when they nailed it?

TattiusTeddius Wed 26-Apr-17 15:31:58

Title should've read 'To ask' sorry

CheesyCrust Wed 26-Apr-17 15:39:54

At 6 it isn't that unusual to either forget or not understand. Confusion with 1st and 3rd person as well as possessive pronouns isn't uncommon either.

Relax. He (smile) isn't failing in their education. Of course, by 6, you can explain explicitly about the pairs and male and female if you want.

Why not as your daughter's teacher via email or whatever's appropriate at her school, what they think.

Curious2468 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:45:23

Does your child have other difficulties or just the pronouns? It can be a marker for some developmental stuff but not on its own.

TheRealPooTroll Wed 26-Apr-17 17:03:45

Ds's speech therapist suggested drawing a line down the middle of a large piece of paper and writing she/her/hers on the top of one side and he/him/his on the other then sticking pictures of male and female relatives, celebrities they like etc on each side and putting it on the wall. He doesn't mix them up any more but whether that helped or he just grew out of it I don't know. I think he was around age 4 when the speech therapist considered it unusual though so I would say it isn't typical in a 6 yr old. That's not to say it's a big issue if you have no other concerns though. How is her development otherwise?

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 26-Apr-17 17:23:14

DS had a lot of issues with pronouns when he was 3. His speech was delayed and he had difficulty with the more abstract parts of grammar in general. He had some gentle intervention and had caught up ready to start school. He'll sometimes make errors such as "more bigger" which seems age appropriate.

DS2 is 4 and occasionally makes errors with pronouns. Yesterday he called DS1 "our brother" smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now