Talk

Advanced search

Homes Under The Hammer

(16 Posts)
witchofzog Wed 26-Apr-17 10:59:02

Is anyone watching today? The bloke in Brighton was such a cheapskate. He bought a tiny 1 bed flat for £150k, kept the manky 80's kitchen and shower room, condemned the boiler and didn't replace it so added hideously expensive electric heaters instead and boarded over a damp problem. He literally just put cheap flooring down, painted it and added a cheap breakfast bar. And is going to rent it for up to £850 per month shock. Oh and then is going to turf the tenant out after a year to sell it.

I don't watch this programme often but I was gob smacked at this guy. I have lived in flats like this when I was younger and they are just shit to live in day to day.

witchofzog Wed 26-Apr-17 11:00:37

Oops. Sorry. Thought I posted in chat

AlpacaPicnic Wed 26-Apr-17 11:03:05

I can't take it seriously ever since I saw the Dave Gorman bit about watching it with the sound off... if you do, it's just random shots of people walking into rooms and looking up at the ceiling!

Have you ever seen Fake Britain? It gives me the Rage. DH can tell when I'm watching it even if he's in another room...

UntilTheCowsComeHome Wed 26-Apr-17 11:03:22

I thought that too! What a wanker.

I wouldn't want to rent off him.

Must also say that Dion was getting on my tits going on about apple pie and apple crumble at that one house. grin

witchofzog Wed 26-Apr-17 11:06:23

I have never seen Fake Britain aside from when my clients have it on in their homes when I visit them. Why is it so annoying Alpaca

Apple crumble grin

Pinkheart5915 Wed 26-Apr-17 11:08:03

I think some people don't go in to buy to let with there eyes open tbh, it's not the easy money some people think it is. You do have to spend money making the places a decent standard, I didn't see the programme it annoys me when I watch but from what you've said doesn't sound like he did a good job

I don't know what the Brighton rental market is like so don't know if 850pm is average.

Renting for 1 year isn't uncommon, me and dh have a few properties we inherited that we rent out in London amd we often rent on 6 month, 1 year contracts they rent easy and can be popular if your only working in the uk for a short time it's ideal.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Wed 26-Apr-17 11:08:25

That cooker shock how can you use that?

Cheapskate wanker

Chloe1984 Wed 26-Apr-17 11:13:03

I just don't see the point in adding Dion as a presenter, a show like that just does not need the 3rd presenter.

You can guarantee every episode will feature someone covering over beautiful Victorian floorboards with cheap laminate or brown carpets and then painting it all magnolia. I'm still addicted to it though grin

NoCapes Wed 26-Apr-17 11:16:17

ExP was on Homes under the Hammer once - I never ever stopped mocking him for walking into a room and looking longingly at the windowsill grin

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 26-Apr-17 11:17:04

There's never been a good family house there, at least not in the ones I've seen.

It's always a developer with a love for ripping out and magnolia.

squoosh Wed 26-Apr-17 11:18:50

The makeovers in Homes Under the Hammer are underwhelming at best. I've only ever seen one that really impressed me. A young guy had bought a tiny railway cottage and then he and his father who were both carpenters did the most gorgeous renovation job on it. Wood floors, handmade kitchen, just lovely.

Ookmybanana Wed 26-Apr-17 11:45:14

As a renter it really gets on my tits when the leave the kitchen or bathroom that is disgusting and manky because "it's just for renting". His Brighton renovation would have been given a massive thumbs down from me.
Equally I'm so bored of seeing (and living in) neutral beige boxes. I understand why it's done but it's so dull to live in. Can't wait to move soon and paint my house any damn colour I like!

pigsDOfly Wed 26-Apr-17 12:00:27

Sounds about par for the course for Brighton.

There's a huge rental market there as it's a university town and in addition to the students is full of young, and not so young, people wanting to rent.

It's also full of crap landlords who buy up potential homes, see ££££ signs and then divide them into tiny little overpriced rooms for rent.

Nothing against landlords per se, I own a house that I rent out (not in Brighton). just don't like how some landlords exploit people and give all landlords a bad name. Some of us are lovely.

AlpacaPicnic Wed 26-Apr-17 12:16:22

Fake Britain gives me the rage because the few episodes I've seen have been full of people who want to buy something that costs - in the shops - £X so they go on the internet and find it for a much cheaper price and are then shocked... shocked I tell you!... to discover that they have not found a terrific bargain but have in fact been sold a cheap knockoff version.
There was a chap recently who wanted a designer leather jacket. That retails anywhere between £500 to £1000. Even older versions, they are apparantly collectors items. He bought one for £200.

Moanyoldcow Wed 26-Apr-17 13:06:03

I thought that too! It was just awful.

I love the programme because I'm a saddo but why does everyone put in a shit brown carpet and those horrible vertical blinds? Looks like a fucking office!

honeysucklejasmine Wed 26-Apr-17 13:09:45

I much prefer it when they are renovating so they can live in it. Some of the investors are tight bastards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now