Talk

Advanced search

To refuse to take in neighbour's packages!

(73 Posts)
DisgruntledGoat Wed 26-Apr-17 10:33:24

Neighbours moved in a few months ago. Since then I've taken in at least half a dozen packages for them because they seem to be rarely at home. I don't mind taking in neighbour's packages but these new neighbours are rubbish at collecting them. I've had the current one since Saturday morning. The previous one which was about 2 weeks ago also sat there for several days before it was collected. It's been the same since the start. With the first one that came shortly after they moved in I thought the delivery guy hadn't put a card through their door so when they didn't pick it up I kept going round but there was never anyone in. Eventually I saw him walking down the road while I was in my car and I'd just tried to deliver it again so I had it with me. I flagged him down by honking my horn and waving my arms like an idiot, rolled down window and handed it to him to which he said, "oh yeah, I meant to pick that up". I just feel it's a bit disrespectful to know your neighbour has taken in your deliveries but to not bother to pick them up until you can be arsed to. I know someone was home on Sunday as I drove past him as he was playing outside his house with his kids - he actually waved as i drove by to my house but he still didn't come and collect it! My AIBU is should I stop taking in their packages? Or is that really bitchy un-neighbourly?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 26-Apr-17 10:35:26

You owe them nothing. Stop doing it.

Chocmudpie Wed 26-Apr-17 10:35:53

I would stop taking them even just for a bit just to make a point. Just don't answer the door rather than refuse the package.

cochineal7 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:38:56

I have been on both sides of this: I have taken in packages for neighbours and have had neighbours take in packages for me. When my neighbours hold my package I sometimes don't know what would be a good time to pick up: as soon as possible, sure, but my neighbour is very private for example, and doesn't want to be disturbed in the evenings. I think you should just talk to then, and tell them that you would like them to pick up packages [insert times of day that suits you]. Or if you don't feel it, just refuse to take in packages for them. Only the post man will know smile

DisgruntledGoat Wed 26-Apr-17 10:39:22

I did wonder whether I should say to delivery guys that I won't take any in for them anymore to save them from asking.

I get my own packages so I have to answer my door smile

DeleteOrDecay Wed 26-Apr-17 10:41:15

YANBU, I often refuse to take parcels for neighbours because I don't want it cluttering up my house (especially if it's a large parcel) and I don't know if/when they will bother to collect it. You're not obliged to, many couriers can leave parcels at the nearest post office/collection point now anyway.

DeleteOrDecay Wed 26-Apr-17 10:42:25

Oh and I don't expect neighbours to take packages for me either. In fact I'd rather they didn't due to my anxiety.

user1483387154 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:43:22

Just say no when you are asked by the delivery men. You are under no obligation to take in their parcels

WateryTart Wed 26-Apr-17 10:44:24

I'd be saying no by now.

Stormtreader Wed 26-Apr-17 10:45:47

Refuse to take them, youre not a free holding office for when they can be bothered to wander over.

WeAreEternal Wed 26-Apr-17 10:46:53

"Sorry I'm going away later today so won't be able to take it in as I won't we in to give it to them until next week. try the neighbors at the other side."

This is my go to to response when delivery people or the post man ask my to take in parcels for certain neighbours.

BattleaxeGalactica Wed 26-Apr-17 10:47:35

You're not his personal postman or his storage space. Stop doing it. If he should say anything (extremely unlikely) point him in the direction of the click and collect button.

DisgruntledGoat Wed 26-Apr-17 10:48:10

Unbelievable. Doorbell literally just went and yet another parcel for same neighbour! You can't make this stuff up!

DeleteOrDecay Wed 26-Apr-17 10:49:21

Why didn't you just say no? You're under no obligation to take their parcels.

KinkyAfro Wed 26-Apr-17 10:49:53

Why did you sign for it then?!

DisgruntledGoat Wed 26-Apr-17 10:51:06

Enough's enough now I think. I've got a collection for them now and I'm not a bloody parcel office so it's definitely the last package I take in for them!

ProseccoBitch Wed 26-Apr-17 10:52:06

There's no point moaning about it if you're going to keep taking them in!

LisaMed1 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:52:50

My old neighbours used to take parcels in for me a lot.

That's why I kept buying chocs/flowers/gifts for them. I cherished them.

If you are not getting appropriate thanks, seriously don't take the parcels in. There are a lot of other options, especially from Amazon!

DisgruntledGoat Wed 26-Apr-17 10:53:11

I didn't sign for it.

Not sure why I took it in tbh, think I was a bit surprised as he'd just been to me to deliver my package then came back when he couldn't get neighbours in.

LisaMed1 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:54:21

Amazon parcels can be delivered to all sorts of places - work, relatives, people they actually know, post offices and drop off points etc etc etc. There isn't an excuse.

DisgruntledGoat Wed 26-Apr-17 10:56:52

I leave a message when I order online to leave stuff in my back garden if I'm out not with my neighbours so not sure why they can't do same

Justaboy Wed 26-Apr-17 10:58:34

Haven't they got a hedge or a convenient bin to chuck them in that's what they'll do most of them !

Yes and i do take packages in here for neighbour. He once had a big wine delivery and did give me a nice bottle for lugging that lot across to his:-)

Why not go and talk to them and see if you can resolve the problem? tell them that you feel you are accepting responsibilities that aren't really yours like what if a valuable package went missing etc?.

2014newme Wed 26-Apr-17 11:01:26

I dont do it.
If I wanted a job delivering parcels I would work for the royal mail.
I had done as you, would be trying today has neighbours to give them the parcel.
Now I Just say no.

DisgruntledGoat Wed 26-Apr-17 11:01:42

Good idea justaboy, I'll send my husband round grin

UppityHumpty Wed 26-Apr-17 11:02:26

Ask them to pick it up. If they don't, leave it outside their front door with a note

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now