Talk

Advanced search

Annual Gas Checks-Maintenance Companies

(19 Posts)
bluebell34567 Wed 26-Apr-17 09:10:49

As far as I know these checks are done once a year.
But this year the company that is assigned to do this job by our HA started corresponding about it 2 months before its due, regularly sending engineers every week to do it although we've arranged a date like 3 weeks before its due. we had to refuse them saying we have an appointment for another date already. the company later said if we are not in on that appointment date they will cap our gas, I found that quite disturbing as we have 3 weeks more for it to expire.
Now this year we are having it done 3 weeks early, I assume next year they will start corresponding about it 2 months early again and have it done earlier again. AIBU to think its their another way of making more money out of tenants and HAs?
By the way we contacted our HA about it, they said we can change it to near our due date later with them but their threatening behaviour like to cap our gas prevents us ever calling them again.

SaucyJack Wed 26-Apr-17 09:16:36

Our council now does them every 11 months too. It's just the way it is. I can't be arsed to argue.

As long as you're in for the appt. that you've made then there's no risk of your gas being cut off.

specialsubject Wed 26-Apr-17 09:20:50

Ah, housing associations. Law unto themselves. Private landlords can't do this ( as it should be) - a gas safe check is not grounds for emergency access and cutting off the gas would ( deservedly ) get a landlord in serious trouble for harassment.

Don't bother with shelter who are up the arses of the h a . and I bet it is just a check, not a service.

lacklustremum Wed 26-Apr-17 10:41:48

A slightly different perspective. Gas checks are required by law every year and landlords can get in trouble if they aren't completed at least 12mthly. Hence why many will start making appts 2mths or so before due, to ensure it is completed before due date.

However if you have an appt booked in then threatening behaviour is wrong.

I know where I work if we cannot get access are repeated efforts and letters , there is a process that allows us to gain access to the property to complete the inspection and the occupant will be billed for it, this is written in the tenancy though

bluebell34567 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:59:34

thanks for the advices and comments. flowers

OhBeggerItsMorning Thu 27-Apr-17 11:50:32

Yarlington do them every 10 months, I checked when our second one came due 10 months after the first! It might be mentioned in your tenancy agreement how often they are done.

With HAs they have so many houses to do it can take a lot of organising, and there are a surprising amount of people who don't allow the gas engineers in (for a huge variety of reasons) so the HAs also like the 2 months 'breathing space' to sort out these problems. It is the HA that gets into trouble if the checks or services etc aren't done so they like time to sort out any problems.

Ridiculous to threaten to cap the gas supply if not in on the day, but I'm not sure what comeback you have with regards to that. But surely, if that were to be done, it wouldn't be allowed to happen until after the 12 months were up, not just over 11. What would happen if an emergency came up on the day and you had to be out? There would still be three weeks to get it done anyway.

HelenaDove Thu 27-Apr-17 13:12:16

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2595702-To-wonder-how-this-company-is-still-in-business

specialsubject Thu 27-Apr-17 13:15:36

Indeed.

My gas safe is badly timed in december and so does need to be booked a long way ahead. But as I am a private landlord who can't threaten tenants (like I would) I offer a choice of dates and work with the tenant and the gas chap for everyone's convenience. Not hard, is it?

HelenaDove Thu 27-Apr-17 13:15:57

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2570536-to-ask-if-any-of-you-have-had-experiences-of-Robert-Heath-Heating

SilverDragonfly1 Thu 27-Apr-17 14:35:31

I really appreciate getting free gas safety checks from my HA.

The inevitable repair that needs doing within a few weeks of the appointment because yet again they broke or reset something during the check is less appreciated. This time it is a leak springing up in a pipe that has soaked the inside of the boiler cupboard.

Again.

HelenaDove Thu 27-Apr-17 14:37:04

Silver <head desk>

bluebell34567 Thu 27-Apr-17 16:49:55

Our HA had another company to do that job before, we didn't have problems like that.
why they are showing up weekly for nothing if I have apt for another date? then they make other people who need urgent repair wait.
they are disorganised, threatening and greedy.
the annual check should be done every year but there is a phrase they are insisting on 'within a year' in their letter. they depend on that wording. our tenancy agreement mentions only annual check it doesn't say 'within a year'.
anyway it is called Annual Check so should be done every 12 months not 10 months.

bluebell34567 Thu 27-Apr-17 16:51:09

HelenaDove ours is not RobertHeating but understand your pain really.

bluebell34567 Thu 27-Apr-17 17:05:37

it is not LG either.

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 28-Apr-17 07:14:03

Ours is K&T Heating. I have no compunction about naming and shaming them! Think they just pluck random people from the street and put logo'd polo shirts on them tbh.

HelenaDove Fri 28-Apr-17 15:38:59

Found some google reviews for them Silver. Christ they are as shit as Liberty Gas And the call centre sounds just as bad too.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=kt+heating&oq=KT+hea&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.7872j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=kt+heating&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=51468548,-16728,4320&tbm=lcl&rldimm=6326878628262122805&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2&lrd=0x47d8a843317fe221:0x57cd969756931535,1,

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 28-Apr-17 15:53:59

Had to giggle at the one about the engineer who couldn't locate the gas stop valve next to the gas meter. Massive deja vu except in our case it was one who couldn't find the thermostat controller directly under the boiler unit... apparently he was a supervisor too.

HA have already given us redecorating vouchers once because of water from the boiler coming through the ceiling. Not that that's much good to us as we can only manage minimal work ourselves. I suspect even if I harangued them into sending someone round to decorate they would only do the 1/3 of the hall/stairs/landing that's been damaged and leave the rest unmatching and tatty so I'm not going to risk my blood pressure.

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 28-Apr-17 15:56:06

They have always been quick to come out as we are listed as vulnerable, but they never call with an appointment, just assume that as mere HA insects we'll always be in. Since each repair leads to another cascade of faults (and water) that promptness is of limited value.

HelenaDove Fri 28-Apr-17 16:17:26

YY Silver They do the damage but then begrudge doing any work to correct it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now