Talk

Advanced search

Nose job booked for tomorrow. AIBU to not go?

(160 Posts)
Freddiethefrogity Tue 25-Apr-17 22:05:45

Name changed.

I have a large nose. It's not huge but unsightly and affects the way my face looks. I've never been called ugly but I felt I would feel so much more confident without it.

I went for my consultation and discussed what I wanted. The cosmetic surgeon made some plans for me and I agreed to the procedure.

However, today I went for my pre-op appointment and the two receptionists stopped me to say they've never said this before but they genuinely thought my nose was absolutely fine and they had no idea why I was changing it.

They seemed very genuine.

Now I've got doubts about having the procedure tomorrow.

I don't hate my looks at all. It's literally just my nose. I don't have low self esteem. But maybe I'm wrong.

I know you can let me know if my nose is awful as you haven't seen it, but do you think the receptionists say that to everyone? AIBU to reconsider on the basis of their opinions?

Very random thread I know grin

Freddiethefrogity Tue 25-Apr-17 22:06:31

Without my huge nose. Not literally without my nose. I've gone for a classic 'nice nose' look.

WonkoTheSane42 Tue 25-Apr-17 22:08:03

If that's all it takes to put you off then you can't want it enough to go through the pain, surely.

LilacSpatula Tue 25-Apr-17 22:08:49

Is this something you'll remain unhappy with for years to come? If so, think back to all the reasons why you booked this in the first place.

Do you have anyone who will tell you what they really think? The receptionists might say this to everyone to make them feel better?! I don't know...

Justmuddlingalong Tue 25-Apr-17 22:08:56

If you have any doubts at all cancel it.

LilacSpatula Tue 25-Apr-17 22:09:18

Good point Wonko!

LollyGag2020 Tue 25-Apr-17 22:09:45

To be honest I would reconsider. Why would they otherwise take business away from their place of work? Post a picture of your nose and maybe get some more opinions? 😂

IvankaTrudeau Tue 25-Apr-17 22:09:48

Sorry OP, I did snort when I read "I'd feel so much better without my nose" grin

That does sound like an unusual thing for the receptionists to say, as it does them out of business, so it is perhaps worth reconsidering?

LilacSpatula Tue 25-Apr-17 22:10:10

You must have had multiple occasions where you felt unhappy so you must have had a journey to even reach this point, no?

CinderellaRockefeller Tue 25-Apr-17 22:10:20

Do it.
If you have the money and you want it, do it, because what might be a tiny change to everyone else will make a huge difference to you.

LollyGag2020 Tue 25-Apr-17 22:10:30

But yeah as PP said any doubt - cancel!

Freddiethefrogity Tue 25-Apr-17 22:11:10

I do want it. Definitely.

It's just it feel like the final nail in the coffin as everyone tells me my face is pretty and my nose is fine.

I have always said people were just being nice but even the receptionists are saying my nose is fine.

I have a friend who had her nose done there and recommended them. The receptionists said nothing to her.

NellieFiveBellies Tue 25-Apr-17 22:11:15

but what will you do if the next person says yeah youll look better with a nose job?

this has to be about how you truly feel. it cant be about what other people think you look like.

if comments from two people have made you reconsider then maybe you dont really want the op. which is fine of course.

do you think that you will no longer feel that your nose bothers you because of these two comments? or do you think that you will revert to your previous feelings in time?
do you think maybe you are nervous about tomorrow?

if you arent 100% sure you want the nose job - cancel.

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Tue 25-Apr-17 22:12:39

I would urge you to postpone the op as sounds like you haven't fully explored your reasons for booking it

I'm generally anti cosmetic surgery but do appreciate that for some people it is the best option. I suspect you probably aren't one of those people though.

Do you have people IRL who you really trust who you can ask to be 100% honest with you about your nose?

Agoddessonamountaintop Tue 25-Apr-17 22:12:50

Well their business iscall about persuading people they need this sort of surgery so I'd say if anyone was telling the truth it would be them. They'd soon be out of a job if they made a habit of saying it to patients when they didn't mean it.

Ktown Tue 25-Apr-17 22:14:05

Google some interesting nosed women? Caroline de maigret and Barbara Streisand
The girl from dirty dancing?
Perhaps look at your whole face together rather than just your nose?

Agoddessonamountaintop Tue 25-Apr-17 22:14:48

I say that as someone who has a big nose and has been called ugly. I still wouldn't have a nose job though.

SelfMadeMan Tue 25-Apr-17 22:15:14

If every poster here saw your nose and genuinely thought it perfect - would this change your intention to proceed?

Does your operation hinge on the opinion of other people regarding your face?

I suspect your motivation is driven in part by how you want other people to perceive you. You can't control other people's perceptions. You can only control your own.

deste Tue 25-Apr-17 22:15:20

My friend did it. She said it was the best thing she ever did and she felt no pain whatsoever. It gave her so much confidence and I think that is your problem. She said she thought that people didn't see her, only her nose. She wished she had done it years ago, her life changed and she is now so pretty. Maybe they were being polite, maybe not, who knows. You are bound to feel nervous and a bit worried but I'm sure it will be fine.

fruityb Tue 25-Apr-17 22:15:31

People told me I looked fine before I had a procedure on my teeth to correct an underbite. I maybe did but to me it was something I was very very conscious of and I know since I had it done I feel a million times better. I still catch myself by surprise at how my face has changed 4 years later.

If you have come this far then get it done - you must have wanted it to come to this point.

Itshellofromme Tue 25-Apr-17 22:16:51

You can't go buy what random people have said. It has to be 100% what you want. You do sound unsure.

mineofuselessinformation Tue 25-Apr-17 22:18:50

I had a deviated septum, and because it caused breathing problems had it fixed by the NHS. I was offered the opportunity to have the shape of my nose changed, and grabbed it with both hands.
My nose isn't drastically different now, but I feel a lot better about it (even though the septum wasn't properly straightened due to poor post-operative advice, as in none).
Ultimately, it's your choice. Can you carry on living with your nose the way it is or not?

Freddiethefrogity Tue 25-Apr-17 22:19:11

I will upload a photo but ask for it to be deleted shortly.

It's the bottom bit I hate and feel it's very long.

I think I'm just having post op nerves to be honest. Finally the time has come after so many years of trying to get doctors to complete the procedure.

Ktown Tue 25-Apr-17 22:21:20

Genuinely you look great
But I cannot see all angles
You need to do what you feel most comfortable with

carnationlilyrose Tue 25-Apr-17 22:21:50

I think your nose looks nice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now