Talk

Advanced search

To not give up my desk?

(7 Posts)
Wendigowoo Tue 25-Apr-17 20:19:44

Just that really. A temp has started this week to cover maternity leave, but is working a few extra days on top of, meaning that they have nowhere to sit on those few extra days.

My manager came and asked me in front of everyone else in the office if I'd mind giving up my desk on the 2 extra days for the new person is in our office. Now I don't mind giving it up and moving to another office for a few weeks while this new person settles in, but wouldn't want to do it for any longer. I work with a fab team and I've hear horror stories about some of the people in the other office that I'll be sat in.

My told my manager that I'd only be happy with giving up my desk for a few weeks, and got back in reply that the new person needs access to a phone as they're providing cover. This is true, but they only provide phone cover on 2 days a week, where they will be sat at the desk of the woman on maternity leave (she job shares so not available space all the time), the rest of the time they are doing exactly the same job as me, meaning that they can work elsewhere as they only need PC access.

I emailed my manager back, but got no reply (has form for ignoring emails)... so Aibu to go back to him tomorrow and tell him that I'm refusing to give up my desk for more than a few weeks to let the new person settle in, but then on they can work in the other office, where there are people that can help if needs be?

Wow that was long.. thanks for reading!

ImperialBlether Tue 25-Apr-17 20:20:53

What's the point in moving you and then moving her to your desk? Why aren't they just putting her in the spare desk?

AnneLovesGilbert Tue 25-Apr-17 20:21:21

YANBU. Why your desk and not someone else's? Cheeky sod.

haveacupoftea Tue 25-Apr-17 20:23:43

I had 2 weeks of nowhere to put my maternity cover while we were doing a handover so I gave her my desk. I don't think YABU really but if you have to shift there's not much you can do about it.

redexpat Tue 25-Apr-17 20:33:21

Why did they ask you?

pringlecat Tue 25-Apr-17 20:38:34

YABU because it's not your call. Your manager has asked you to move for a reason, which he doesn't have to share with you. It may be that there are secret health reasons why other people can't relocate temporarily - it's his job to know the full picture, not yours.

People always get territorial about their desks, but they're not actually "their" desks - they belong to the employer.

If he's a shit manager, that's an entirely separate issue.

UppityHumpty Tue 25-Apr-17 20:54:29

It's not an option. Your manager asked you a rhetorical question confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now