Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed he flirted with me but asked her out

(42 Posts)
Rowenadobbins Tue 25-Apr-17 19:28:28

I feel so daft for letting this get to me.

There's a guy my friends and I know through our university course. He's been really friendly to all of us and there's been friendly flirting. We would consider him a friend.

He has a student on his course he couldn't stand but who came to all social events. He openly put her down, refused to talk to her and generally showed a complete disinterest in speaking to her or having any interaction with her.

Fast forward 5 months and we all said we would stay in contact. We wondered if he was interested in any of us romantically and we all said if he asked one of us out the others wouldn't mind.

Then, he asks the woman he couldn't stand out!!! He got her number from a guy she knows and asked her for a drink!!!!! He's replied to our messages only and never initiated contact with any of us.

So why flirt and be friendly with us and treat that other woman like nothing only to ask her on the date?

AIBU to be a bit annoyed and confused by this?

She turned him down saying he was rude to her so she has no intention of seeing him again. Not exactly the way to win a woman over is it!

Do you think he just asked her it to make us jealous? Maybe we annoyed him accidentally?

VestalVirgin Tue 25-Apr-17 19:33:35

I would assume he's immature and can't deal with being attracted to a woman.

When I was in primary school, there was a boy who bullied me some days, and went out of his way to give me flowers on others.

... I guess it is possible that man hasn't yet grown out of that stage.

You sound jealous. There's no need to be. He's either immature or a jerk, so no loss, really.

Nocabbageinmyeye Tue 25-Apr-17 19:34:57

confused why the hell are you fawning over a guy who openly treats anyone badly?

Do you think he just asked her out to mskr us jealous Christ you have a high opinion of yourselves. Are you sure your not 13?

TheNaze73 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:37:21

You sound like a deluded teenager. If it was that important, why didn't you ask him out?

pnguin Tue 25-Apr-17 19:39:37

Unless "university course" is code for GCSE English YABU

Harvey246 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:41:40

Wow, this guy must be pretty special to treat someone like that and still have a whole group of women falling over themselves saying 'pick me pick me!'... or not...

GriefLeavesItsMark Tue 25-Apr-17 19:42:06

Yes, that is precisely why he asked her out. How perceptive of you.

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 25-Apr-17 19:42:25

Did he pull her pigtails too?

highinthesky Tue 25-Apr-17 19:43:04

Do you think he just asked her it to make us jealous? Maybe we annoyed him accidentally? I really don't think this is about you!

You sound as fucked up as each other, if its any consolation?

LineysRun Tue 25-Apr-17 19:43:49

How do you know he asked her out?

gamerwidow Tue 25-Apr-17 19:47:53

He spent 5 months negging this woman to pay mind games and make her more receptive to him and she called him out and told him to sod off. Good! Why are you all so desperate to be chosen by this dickhead?

TaliZorahVasNormandy Tue 25-Apr-17 19:48:42

Sounds like a prize. Puts her down refuses to speak to her. Hope she said no.

BuckinghamLass Tue 25-Apr-17 19:49:17

He sounds awful. Consider yourself lucky, a man who openly puts women down isn't exactly a prize specimen.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Tue 25-Apr-17 19:49:19

Oh she did say no. Good for her.

Lilyoftheforest Tue 25-Apr-17 19:51:01

Consider yourself lucky OP. He sounds like a prize prat!

Sniv Tue 25-Apr-17 19:55:52

Yes, google 'negging', because that's exactly what he was doing - basically playing undermining mind games to manipulate you, your friends and this woman (who I'd like to give a hearty handshake for telling him to piss off). It's not how an honest, mature man with good intentions approaches people.

RortyCrankle Tue 25-Apr-17 19:58:50

Is he not entitled to ask who he pleases, even if he is a prat?

Guepe Tue 25-Apr-17 19:59:49

He sounds awful, but you're not exactly covering yourself in glory either.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 25-Apr-17 20:00:39

He is cock.
You are self obsessed.
She is the clever one.

Good luck to her smile

AnyFucker Tue 25-Apr-17 20:03:33

Was he your tutor ?

OnionKnight Tue 25-Apr-17 20:03:39

You all sound like twats.

NancyWake Tue 25-Apr-17 20:09:53

Who cares why he did what he did he's an arse. That woman seems to have the measure of him.

CopperRose Tue 25-Apr-17 20:11:39

Proper lol'd at Pnguin's post:
Unless "university course" is code for GCSE English YABU

gringrin

Lochan Tue 25-Apr-17 20:12:50

He didn't do it to make you jealous. He's not the least bit interested in any of you.

He's interested in her, because she doesn't like him. He was horrible to he because she didn't like him but asked her out to prove to himself he's irresistible.

She clearly has more sense as she said no.

He's a poor long term bet. Look elsewhere.

upperlimit Tue 25-Apr-17 20:16:53

Fast forward 5 months and we all said we would stay in contact. We wondered if he was interested in any of us romantically and we all said if he asked one of us out the others wouldn't mind.

He flirted with All of you and you All thought you were in with a chance and agreed you wouldn't mind when he picked the chosen one?

Are they running Hollyoaks scripts through the MN bullshit filter now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now