Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what services are available for lonely people that AREN'T elderly?

(11 Posts)
TickingTimeBomb2017 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:51:18

I'm incredibly lonely at the moment. I work from home. Used to be an avid gym-goer and got most of my social contact from that; however I am currently pregnant and struggling physically so had to cancel the gym.

I attend Buddhist meditation classes once a week, however I find this isn't regular enough to build friendships.

I've searched for befriending services in my local area but they are run by Age UK, so not for my age group (30s).

How do fellow work-from-home people build friendships? My loneliness is turning into depression sad

I think classes and leisure activities are the best way to make friends - a local reading group, choir, craft group, evening class would be my recommendations.

If you look at your MN local section, there are sometimes meet ups, which can be fun.

icanteven Tue 25-Apr-17 17:56:15

Meet-up.com

Start with groups that don't have billions of people so that you find it easier to sit with a group and chat. I find that next to impossible at big events.

Facebook is a good source of groups as well, although in my experience, in the UK many real-life groups use meetup.com to manage events, even if they have a group on FB as well.

There are odd sources of friends too - the Tracey Anderson Method FB group is super-friendly, and v receptive to local meets (I mention them because you are into fitness).

Eventbrite also lists events that you might be interested in.

DueOct30th Tue 25-Apr-17 17:58:27

Sign up for nct classes and any other antenatal classes in your area. This is a sure fire way to make friends or at least people to catch up for a coffee with.

I agree it's hard we moved to a new area and I have only made friends through school mums and joining yoga and the pta! I do work outside of home through so not always alone at home as that is much more isolating. I'm glad I have kids as it must be so much harder if you don't.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 25-Apr-17 17:59:02

I found being pregnant incredibly isolating.

Try some NCT groups or similar. Yoga Bellies. I couldn't bear most of the people there but I did meet my best friend there (mutual eye rolling and we hit it off.)

hazelnutlatte Tue 25-Apr-17 18:00:38

Do you have pregnancy yoga near you? The group I went to was very sociable and we met up afterwards with the babies too

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Tue 25-Apr-17 18:01:11

I wish I knew. Disabled, basically housebound, in my 30s and I can go months without speaking to another human.

Greyhound81 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:04:30

Have you looked at something like Ladies Circle? The name probably drives MNetters mad (I'm not keen myself) but basically it's a social group. I only went out with a hobby group I had and had to cut back on that when I had my son - I've been to loads of places with lovely people - I'm just getting dressed up to go to an AGM now - it's just like WI but with more wine and less jam.

PeaFaceMcgee Tue 25-Apr-17 18:06:18

If you have any mental health issues there's a MIND befriending service, but that's probably not what you mean.

Search Facebook for any crafty or foodie groups in your area maybe? Or join a local choir?

PeaFaceMcgee Tue 25-Apr-17 18:07:35

Or some areas have women in business networks

TickingTimeBomb2017 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:48:39

Thanks everyone. Some really good suggestions. Will look into the antenatal options.

Goldilocks How horrible sad No family?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now