Talk

Advanced search

To want to chuck out the spice jars

(12 Posts)
HarmlessChap Tue 25-Apr-17 15:12:26

DW collected a couple of dozen spice jars before we were married, all printed with specific theme.

For over 10 years they have been empty and hidden away just collecting grease and dust in the kitchen, which I am in the throws of blitzing.

Having washed these herb and spice jars I could

- put them back and clean them again in due course
- put them in loft to add to the junk we already have there
- give them to a charity shop (like DW did with my expensive leather jacket I loved but she didn't)
- put them in the bin

I'm leaning towards option 3 or 4.....

p.s, we have loads of herbs and spices they're just in the jars they were sold in.

FanaticalFox Tue 25-Apr-17 15:13:28

Bin it. I am all for a good house clear out.

ProudBadMum Tue 25-Apr-17 15:14:32

I think I'd chuck them all at garden wall and enjoy seeing them smash before binning the remains

10 years of them?!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 25-Apr-17 15:30:17

Shame about the leather jacket but I'd still check with her before disposing of them to the charity shop, because that's what considerate people do.

UppityHumpty Tue 25-Apr-17 16:10:09

Charity shop

Alanna1 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:12:25

Put in box that says charity shop and then ask her.... Ps sorry about the jacket!

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 25-Apr-17 16:28:53

Option 5. Talk to her about it.

BertieBotts Tue 25-Apr-17 16:44:55

You could decant all your herbs and spices into them and put them nicely on display?

Birdsgottaf1y Tue 25-Apr-17 16:49:21

Have you heard of Kon-Mari, Marie Kondo's method of de-cluttering?

She says that we shouldn't throw out other people's stuff, but ask then "is it needed or loved?" and if not then why do you want to give it space in your personal living space.

When sorting things out, it might be better to ask her what she wants to keep, rather than discard and why.

HarmlessChap Tue 25-Apr-17 17:02:18

I've spoken to her about them plenty of times and she says "she'll do something with them...."

FWIW they aren't very practical either which is part of the reason we don't use them.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 25-Apr-17 17:10:14

Well then leave them. She threw away the jacket; you still know it's wrong to throw them away.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Tue 25-Apr-17 18:00:12

Chuck them in the charity bag, if she has not used them in 10 years she is NEVER going to use them chances are the only time she thinks about them are when you bring them up asking to get rid.

Honestly I am guilty of keeping stuff I no longer used for longer than I should but there has to be a limit on how long is too long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now