Talk

Advanced search

To hate DPs efo

(14 Posts)
Tenerife2015 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:24:36

So DP has just been for a job interview and phoned me...

Last night I suggested he look at the potential job's website, have a look at their ethos etc so you get to know the place a bit. He says 'nah I'll be fine, cba'.

On the phone, I ask how it went. DP says it went ok, but they asked him why did he want to work here specifically and he struggled to answer. I say 'yeah I thought they might ask you something like that, I you would listen to me when I...' He then cuts me of saying 'I don't have to listen to this I've just had a job interview' I say fine and hang up.

WIBU?

Tenerife2015 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:24:53

Title is supposed to say ego blush

FoxesSitOnBoxes Tue 25-Apr-17 13:26:04

I don't know. I'm not sure saying "I told you so" after he just messed up a job interview is particularly helpful.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 25-Apr-17 13:27:18

is he ALWAYS such an obnoxious twat?

Jayfee Tue 25-Apr-17 13:30:22

Right comment..wrong time imo

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 25-Apr-17 13:32:09

Saying 'I told you so' is always potentially obnoxious and will make people arsey

shyturnip Tue 25-Apr-17 13:32:35

Sounds like it's less ego than a communication problem between the two of you.

5foot5 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:32:39

YA both BU.

Obviously his attitude to job hunting stinks. But "I told you so" comments are never helpful.

He probably has realised his mistake for himself now. And unless he is a complete knob will not make the same mistake again. Unless you keep going on at him about how if he had listened to you last time things might have gone better and then he might resist advance preparation in a sort of stubborn male pride way.

I advise you to back off and not make any further negative comment on the subject.

peachgreen Tue 25-Apr-17 13:40:25

You were right in what you said but it wasn't a very good time to say it. Especially as you don't know whether or not he's got the job. Tbh if it were me I wouldn't have brought it up until he's next preparing for an interview and then I would have said something like "have you thought about what answer you'll give if they ask you why you want to work there? Maybe have a quick look on their website for some ideas?" etc. More practical help than an "I told you so", which nobody likes!

CwtchMeQuick Tue 25-Apr-17 13:40:29

Although you were right, the poor bloke has just messed up a job interview and I'm sure he can see for himself that listening to you would've helped him. I think YWBU to say I told you so. It would've been more helpful to be supportive and suggest it again the next time he's preparing for an interview, if you feel you need to say anything about it.

d270r0 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:58:04

No one likes being criticised and told they were wrong. He had been for a job intrview, which is stressful, then you started nagging him.

ImperialBlether Tue 25-Apr-17 14:01:14

He really doesn't deserve that job, with that cba attitude, does he?

What's he like the rest of the time?

SpookyPotato Tue 25-Apr-17 14:04:03

I would have said it gently later on in the evening when we're chilled out and chatting.. I think it was tight to do it so soon and in an "I told you so" way. It was never gonna end well!

LadyPW Tue 25-Apr-17 14:10:18

You said "I told you so" and you're complaining about HIS ego? hmm
The correct response was 'oh dear, that's a shame, still, you'll know for next time'....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now