Advanced search

Finding it impossible to register with a GP

(11 Posts)
CaraSl Tue 25-Apr-17 13:12:08

I moved to a new area of London about a year ago but stayed with my old GO as they were fantastic- open 7 days a week, I could get appointments at short notice etc.

Anyway I'm due a smear and I know doctors send you letters so knew I needed to move to a local GP and give them my new address.

I walked to the closest one last week and they said I'm not in their catchment area and rang around a few and found the right one and went to get the forms. To register I need to provide:

Two proofs of address from within the last three months - not including a phone statement or bank statement

What they have asked for is a tenancy agreement and council tax bill but both of these are solely in my husband's name. All the household bills are in his name. He has a secure council tenancy which pre dates our relationship. When I needed proof of address for my parking permit the HA wrote a letter saying I lived there but I wasn't added to the tenancy. The GP won't accept this letter.

How the hell can I get two proofs of address? Will I need to ask DH to call the water company and council tax and get me added to the bills, then get bills sent out before I can register? Is it always this hard?

StarlingMurderation Tue 25-Apr-17 13:14:03

If you're not on the council tax bill, is your partner claiming to be the only adult at the address?

Snap8TheCat Tue 25-Apr-17 13:14:30

Driving license ?

CaraSl Tue 25-Apr-17 13:14:35

No I'm on the electoral roll here just not named on the bill. We pay the full amount not the single person discount.

CaraSl Tue 25-Apr-17 13:15:32

They won't accept driving licence which does have my new address on! It has to be tenancy agreement (from last 3 months), water bill, council tax or gas/ electricity.

NannyR Tue 25-Apr-17 13:27:36

Sounds like a ridiculous policy, you can't be the only person who is having this problem, most households with more than one adult would only have one name one the council tax and utility bills. I would go down with every piece of paperwork you can lay your hands on with your name and address on; both parts of your driving licence, car insurance, credit card bill etc and ask what they suggest if nothing is suitable.

Fragglez Tue 25-Apr-17 13:34:32

They must have a procedure for a young adult living with parents for instance, so adult but not a bill payer.

There must be loads of people in your situation.

I never understand why driving licences aren't acceptable as ID. Photo, name and address - what more could you want?!

Oh i used a poll card recently - do you have local elections or can you wait till GE?

givemushypeasachance Tue 25-Apr-17 14:10:13

Have a look through lists like this one on Natwest's website which set out the range of proof of address they accept, see if any of those are something you could offer.

CaulkheadNorth Tue 25-Apr-17 14:11:43

Change one of the bills to your name. I had to do that when have shared in the past.

givemushypeasachance Tue 25-Apr-17 14:12:04

There's another list on the website here too. If the GPs get shirty about it, point out it's on the official government website.

FanaticalFox Tue 25-Apr-17 15:16:34

Since when do they not accept a bank statement?! How odd. Try another GPs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: