Talk

Advanced search

Dd's sharing a bed

(15 Posts)
chilledpanda Tue 25-Apr-17 09:43:16

For a long time we've needed to move the radiator in dd2's bedroom so we can build her a bed over the annoying stair box to give her a bigger bedroom.
I'm not sure what to do re sleeping arrangements for dds. Dd2 is going to have to share with dd1 for atleast a week while we build this bed.

Options are
They share a bed,
Dd2 sleeps on a mattress,
Or we rebuild the bed in dd1s room before dismantling it again.

We're selling her current bed so don't really want to take it apart and rebuild it multiple times while moving it from room to room. Plus there is barely room for two beds in dd1's room and we could do with getting rid of it asap.

They're 8 & 9 by the way and are very excited about sharing for a bit. (Me. Not so much!)

What should I do?

RNBrie Tue 25-Apr-17 09:45:48

Mattress on the floor. You can try bed sharing, mine sometimes go to bed in the same bed but if they're not used to it then it probably won't work and they'll just annoy each other.

You can always make up the mattress but let them start off bed sharing and move her onto they mattress when they're not managing to go to sleep!

TOWIEngland Tue 25-Apr-17 09:46:21

What's the problem with them sharing?

Crispbutty Tue 25-Apr-17 09:48:16

I can't see why there would be any problem here? confused

chilledpanda Tue 25-Apr-17 09:49:49

We're building the bed from scratch. Evening and weekend job as we both work. I'm worried about the job running over. How long can I realistically expect her to sleep on a mattress.
I feel a bit bad about it but there's no way around it and she will benefit in the end.

CastleFeck Tue 25-Apr-17 09:52:03

What's wrong with sleeping on a mattress on the floor?

19lottie82 Tue 25-Apr-17 09:52:33

Did I read this right, it's only for a week? If so really, what's the problem?

Booshbeesh Tue 25-Apr-17 09:53:12

My dds often share a bed. They have bunk beds (7 and 8) but the one in the top goes down everynight and they always share. Many nights iv walked in and seenno hair on the top bunk paniced look at the bottom and seen masses of hair tangled together. sigh thats fun to brush in the morning

ExplodedCloud Tue 25-Apr-17 09:53:19

A week or two on a mattress should be fine. I'd make up the mattress and let them do what they want as long as they aren't keeping each other awake.

DalaHorse Tue 25-Apr-17 09:54:12

Mattress or air bed, or sharing if it's big enough to sleep comfortably. it's only a week or so, can't see the problem??

bonbonours Tue 25-Apr-17 09:54:40

My 8 and 6 year old love to share a bed even though they have their own. But there us no way my 10 year old would tolerate sharing. So it depends on them - you could try it and see and if it doesn't work think again. I can't see a problem with a mattress on the floor though, even if for months, it's no less comfortable than a bed for a child who can easily get up from it. It's not like you're planing a campbed or camping mat.

corythatwas Tue 25-Apr-17 09:57:35

ask them what they want to do

it's a week, it's nothing

chilledpanda Tue 25-Apr-17 10:16:36

Thanks everyone. We do actually have a camp bed bonbon but I didn't even entertain that idea. It's so uncomfortable.
Oh no boosh the dd's both have long thick hair. That sounds like a nightmare!
Thanks for your replies, I'm off to clear and rearrange the bedrooms.

thethoughtfox Tue 25-Apr-17 10:32:15

Why not make it a fort on the floor where they can both sleep? Make it a fun adventure. Or make a fort in the living room floor where they can both or all of you can sleep together. I can't wait to do this when my dd is a bit bigger.

wigglesrock Tue 25-Apr-17 10:41:17

My 9 year old slept on a mattress on her sisters floor for 10 days last month - we had a visitor using her room (she has the big room with the double bed, so she moves on the odd occasion it's needed). She was grand, didn't bother her at all, her older sister had said that they could swop and she'd sleep on the mattress for a few nights if it was uncomfy but it wasn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now