Talk

Advanced search

To Think asking Teacher whether DC is showing signs of 11+ potential, I shouldnt be subjected to her personal opionion on the 11+!

(132 Posts)
BlowingThroughTheJasmineinMyMi Tue 25-Apr-17 09:41:17

I can't believe this or maybe this is standard practise?

At PE asking teacher - at the moment is my child showing potential to sit the 11+, instead of being told - yes , no and comments on that I had to sit and listen to her personal views on the whole 11+ shock

Eventually I was told - 11+ is 128 and your dd recent scores are 130 so YES.

Before I got that information I was told all about her 11+ days at school, the snobbery, how she didn't do it for her dc confused.

Onthecouchagain Tue 25-Apr-17 09:43:06

She has opinions, get over it.

UppityHumpty Tue 25-Apr-17 09:45:00

11+ prep is mostly done privately. Not sure why you'd even ask that teacher - it's not usually something they can advise unless it's a private school. If you think she's ready get her into some tutition.

BlowingThroughTheJasmineinMyMi Tue 25-Apr-17 10:01:46

I cant think of anyone more relavant to ask though than her actual teacher who sees her work and marks it confused surely the response would be either

At the moment no, she finds x and y difficult she would need lots of support on that, and lots of extra help ...

or , at the moment yes, her grades are above average etc etc etc?

I am not a teacher and I am totally blind to all this, I only asked because I found out many of her classmates have already started extra classes for it.

WorraLiberty Tue 25-Apr-17 10:04:10

I read it twice and still thought you were saying you asked the PE teacher grin

kingfisherblue33 Tue 25-Apr-17 10:05:56

Maybe she was just letting you know the pitfalls and possible downsides to a selective school system?

Are you going to arrange tutoring for your dd?

BlowingThroughTheJasmineinMyMi Tue 25-Apr-17 10:08:24

Probably at some stage I will obviously have to engage a tutor to give me a run down of DD strengths and weakness and if its worth putting her in for it, so YES.

I really don't want to sit through any teachers personal disapproval and negativity. I want to know where my dc is at.

Raaaaaah Tue 25-Apr-17 10:09:59

Why wouldn't you ask a teacher uppity? 11+ is commonly taken for state grammar. Why wouldn't a state primary teacher be able to advise?

ParadiseCity Tue 25-Apr-17 10:12:47

Our state primary isn't supposed to spend any time on anything to do with 11 plus. It's not part of the curriculum etc.

FelixtheMouse Tue 25-Apr-17 10:13:06

Teachers have personal opinions. There's problem with that. However, coming out with them, unasked, at such a time is very unprofessional in my view.

FelixtheMouse Tue 25-Apr-17 10:14:13

There's No problem with that
Fucking auto correct.

UppityHumpty Tue 25-Apr-17 10:19:25

What's normally done around here, is if a parent wants their child to take 11+ then they'll take them to a tutition/prep class or two (if the child doesn't go to private school). They'll do a few mock tests and the tutor (usually a retired teacher around here) will them how ready they are. Kids here tend to start going around 8-10.

At my dd's private school the 11+ prep is integrated into lessons from 9 or so (use of similar tests etc) with extracurricular lessons as required.

BlowingThroughTheJasmineinMyMi Tue 25-Apr-17 10:20:24

Yes thats what I thought Felicity, I didn't ask her for her opinion on the 11+ personally I asked if at the moment dd is showing potential for it. I have personal opinions too grin but I wouldn't want to sit there and defend my thoughts to her because quite frankly why should I and I am sure she would have better things to do than listen to my personal thoughts.

BlowingThroughTheJasmineinMyMi Tue 25-Apr-17 10:21:35

uppity and people wonder why Grammars are dominated by private school dc hmm.

Maudlinmaud Tue 25-Apr-17 10:22:47

11 plus aka the transfer test is standard here. Grammar school places are sought after and schools are not meant to prepare students for it anymore, so it is very much up to the parents to either help their dc with the practice papers or find a tutor who will. Usually teachers will give an opinion on whether the child should prepare for it or not based on their ability. They should refrain from giving other opinions.

blackteasplease Tue 25-Apr-17 10:25:05

That's awful uppity

Hoppinggreen Tue 25-Apr-17 10:25:10

Most teachers at State Primaries won't give an opinion on whether you child is suitable - DDs teacher said she wasn't " allowed" to comment
Bit unprofessional to say it's snobbish though
In our area some Primary teachers don't even know it's an option as the Grammar is not in our town, mind you quite a few parents don't either.

BlowingThroughTheJasmineinMyMi Tue 25-Apr-17 10:26:50

Usually teachers will give an opinion on whether the child should prepare for it or not based on their ability

Yes that's all I wanted surely not too much to ask? I am not asking for anything else.

Hoppinggreen Tue 25-Apr-17 10:27:33

Yes, it's like uppity said in our area so mostly only very motivated and knowledgeable parents can help their dc get into the Grammars.

BlowingThroughTheJasmineinMyMi Tue 25-Apr-17 10:27:55

How bizarre Hopping! Not allowed to comment shock I cant believe it! The teacher has their grades and sees them work!

Maudlinmaud Tue 25-Apr-17 10:30:11

Well blowing that's all you should have got. I have an opinion on the 11 plus too but unless you want to hear it, I won't offer it.

GraceGrape Tue 25-Apr-17 10:31:59

I am a state primary teacher. I wouldn't really know whether a child was suitable for the 11-plus as it is a completely different test unrelated to the state curriculum. In these parts, if you want to do the 11-plus you would practise with a parent or most likely get outside tutoring. I would be able to advise if your child was generally an able student but couldn't say anything more specifically about the test.

Feckitall Tue 25-Apr-17 10:32:28

I would listen to the appraisal of your childs abilities with a heavy pinch of salt too and get the practice books to see if your DD copes. Unless they are supportive the type of questions don't bear relation to what is done in class particularly in state schools. Even then children develop at differing rates as we all know.
I personally know of one case where parents were advised against entering as probably wouldn't pass and be too stressful for the DD in question...she got highest mark in cohort...11 A* GCSE, 5 A at A level, 1st Class degree, doctorate...not bad for a kid that wasn't likely to pass!!

Hoppinggreen Tue 25-Apr-17 10:33:14

I suppose the fear is favouritism, we found at DD's school high achievement was very much played down as not to upset the other children ( I assume)
There might also be the fear that if they say your child should do the 11+ and does badly there might be some comeback
With this attitude amongst State Primaries Grammar schools will continue to be elitist unfortunately

BlowingThroughTheJasmineinMyMi Tue 25-Apr-17 10:34:14

I would be able to advise if your child was generally an able student

Which is exactly what I was asking.
Feck thats interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now