We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not want dh to pay this fine (car tax)?

(15 Posts)
AstridPeth Mon 24-Apr-17 18:12:23

Last year dh had a slip up. His mot was up on his car and he failed to renew it, not purposely at all he just got the month wrong due to his previous car being a different month. Entirely his fault but not done at all on purpose. He rectified this as soon as he realised (i think it was a month late). What he then didn't realise is that because the car was not mot'd , the tax which normally comes out automatically from the bank was not taken. DH was driving around in an untaxed car for some time before we got a letter through the post fining him. Because we had moved house the letters had been sent originally to the old address. As although dh had updated his contact details there was some sort of error here too. So by the time dh received the letter he had been summoned to court and had to pay a fine in the region of £300. This all happened last August.
Today dh has just recieved a letter stating that he must pay a fine of £80 for not taxing his car. This is from the same offence. DH doesn't even have the car anymore.
DH phoned them today and said that he felt this was all dealt with as he had appeared in court and paid the fine the judge asked him to.
However, they are saying that he must still pay the £80 as this one is for failure to tax or declare the car as sorn. Whereas the other one was for driving an untaxed vehicle.
The offence occured last March. Surely they would have dealt with both issues at the same time. Why would it take over a year to now send out this fine.
DH has not agreed to pay yet as he wants to get in touch with the people he paid the £300 to first as he feels there must be some confusion.
Does anyone have any experience please?

FinallyDebtFree Mon 24-Apr-17 18:45:22

YABU...2 different offences = 2 fines. Ignorance is not an excuse, his insurance would have been invalid too. Maybe your DH should sort his admin out better.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Mon 24-Apr-17 18:49:43

2 different issues I'm afraid, he's got no choice but to pay the £80 and then keep on top of MOT/tax etc

AstridPeth Mon 24-Apr-17 19:20:26

Really! I we hoping It was some sort of error. As I thought these issues would have been dealt with at the same time. And I can't understand why it has taken so long for this to come through. Completely wasn't expecting it.
Tell me about it. DH isn't the most organised person. I deal with all the financial outgoings but I have nothing to do with the car as I don't drive myself. He has always stayed on top of it before, was his this one (expensive) slip up. Oh dear looks like we will have to suck it up then. (Was hoping that when he gets to speak to the people who he paid the first fine to that they would tell him it was sent in error).

FanaticalFox Mon 24-Apr-17 19:52:44

Was the £300 fine also a CCJ in that case if he went to court? Bet he's kicking himself. Just pay the 80 and chalk it up to experience.

Madwoman5 Tue 25-Apr-17 00:44:36

Get the sms mot reminder service set up. Mot is easy to forget. Sadly two offences.

Seren85 Tue 25-Apr-17 00:53:12

Two different issues unfortunately. He needs to learn from his expensive mistakes and not be in this position again. Re CCJ, if he paid it within 28 days from the Court date (or as ordered by the Judge) then it wouldn't be recorded as such. It doesn't stay on record.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Tue 25-Apr-17 05:46:36

Wasn't the fine from the Magistrates (criminal) court? Rather than the county (civil) court?

cansu Tue 25-Apr-17 07:01:32

This happened to dp. He paid reluctantly. There was no choice.

topcat2014 Tue 25-Apr-17 07:03:13

No MOT is a 'moving traffic offence' - so goes to magistrates court.

Car tax is just a civil matter. - two separate things.

hippoinamudhole Tue 25-Apr-17 07:09:10

I thought the time limit for sending fines was 6 months but that may just be in the magistrates court

londonrach Tue 25-Apr-17 07:13:07

Yabu and you know that re the fine. How long is it before they fine as about 3 years ago i awake at 1am and remembered by car tax was due 3 days before (had tax insurance etc). We were staying in a b&b as just moved house. I went to my cAr for its book and taxed it at 1am. Phoned them up the next day to check re fine and they told me i wouldnt as id done it. Not forgetten before or since and always looked down on others who did but can completely understand why now as they didnt send a reminder letter and you not tax disk to look at.

WizardOfToss Tue 25-Apr-17 07:43:03

Rach, they now send a reminder letter before it's due, prompting you to pay it. If you don't, --and leave it in your in tray, looking at you DH--you get a last chance letter about 2 weeks after it was due. Then you (presumably) get the fines kicking in. So I'm sure you'll be fine, and your letters are probably at your previous address!

Empireoftheclouds Tue 25-Apr-17 07:49:03

YABU to think that his car tax direct debit went unpaid due to his MOT expiring.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 25-Apr-17 07:49:37

Legal beagles have lots of good advice. . Google them!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now