We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Retuning borrowed items

(11 Posts)
Bangsheadontable Mon 24-Apr-17 17:42:35

I loaned a relatively high value baby item to a friend and his wife. They live in south London, so as a favour I also dropped it to his parent's house as they are there quite often (about 20 mins in the car each way). They had it for about a year, until they bought a new one. They then took the item (being non-specific so not identifiable) back to their parent's house and told me I could collect it. I haven't collected it yet as I've been busy, and because it's inconvenient and will take a couple of hours because it will be impossible not to go in for a cuppa and a chat (she is very lonely and unwell and will want the company) and I just don't have time at the moment (work, kids, relative with dementia etc etc).

He has since emailed to ask me to get it, as it's taking up room.

AIBU to think this is, broadly, taking the piss? And that the right thing to do is to thank me for the loan and offer to drop it back...Regardless of how long it will take to get it back, even if it took five mins, it's just basic manners, no?

SimplyPut Mon 24-Apr-17 17:44:03

YANBU!

FanaticalFox Mon 24-Apr-17 17:44:43

YANBU however I'd just go and get it but literally just grab and run you don't HAVE to do the sit and chat thing. You can do this without seeming rude "sorry just on my way to an appt" etc etc.

YellowDinosaur Mon 24-Apr-17 17:46:04

Yanbu.

They need to drop it back to you, or (if you are happy with the following) accept you'll collect it when you happen to be passing but that might be some time.

ASDismynormality Mon 24-Apr-17 17:46:45

YANBU, they should return it back to you.

YellowDinosaur Mon 24-Apr-17 17:46:48

And, what fanaticalfox said if you do end up collecting it

Nocabbageinmyeye Mon 24-Apr-17 17:48:39

Yanbu, he is being really rude

DirtyChaiLatte Mon 24-Apr-17 17:49:04

YANBU
If someone got arsey like that after I'd done them a favour then I'd email him back and ask HIM to drop it back at YOUR house.

Some people are so rude and entitled and don't understand gratitude.

OverByYer Mon 24-Apr-17 17:50:07

YANBU, they should have returned it to you themselves

Bangsheadontable Mon 24-Apr-17 18:42:57

Ok. Good. Thank you. Glad I'm not completely off!

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 24-Apr-17 19:25:11

Dear friend

Sorry the item I loaned you is taking up space at your Mum's. No doubt you can collect it and drop it off to me at some point as I am afraid I can't get down there at the moment.

Love from.
your generous friend,
Bangshead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now