Talk

Advanced search

Sexual health clinic / where to get pills?

(17 Posts)
Bleurghghghgh Mon 24-Apr-17 13:15:48

Hi,

I'm due to run out of my mini pill tomorrow - just rang the clinic where I usually go and walk in and wait but have found out that their hours have changed from closing at 7 to closing at 5. They don't take appointments or I would do that and have to get time off work. They didn't know what to suggest beyond calling my GP

GP receptionist said that although I've been on the same medication for over two years they also can't give them to me without a pill check up. Fine, but they also don't hold appointments for this either and I'd need to go and sit and wait on Friday.

What am I meant to do now? I can't take any whole days off work

wickerlampshade Mon 24-Apr-17 13:19:12

Pharmacy can give you a month's emergency supply (the pharmacy where you normally get it dispensed so they know you're on it) - will be private but unlikely to cost much. Buys you time to get a GP appt.

Scribblegirl Mon 24-Apr-17 13:20:26

My gp will do a month as an emergency- maybe worth calling back and begging asking?

Bleurghghghgh Mon 24-Apr-17 13:20:40

Thanks Wicker, issue there is that it was given directly from the clinic so my pharmacy won't have any log for it

Bleurghghghgh Mon 24-Apr-17 13:21:57

Scribblegirl I've tried that before and they made me go to a walk in centre, where I had to sit for three hours after work. I think I'm just going to have to do that again tonight, thinking about it

Birdsgottaf1y Mon 24-Apr-17 13:22:05

You can get them from a Sexual Health clinic, as well. Depending on were you are, there might be at least one late night clinic.

Bleurghghghgh Mon 24-Apr-17 13:31:06

Although that feels like a stupid waste of time for the out of hours clinic...

Bleurghghghgh Mon 24-Apr-17 13:33:20

Birds, I have done for the last 3 years - it's them who are now only open until 5PM and don't hold appointments, the other one is only open until 6.45 tonight which is too early for me to get there and get seen, the rest of the week they're also closing at 5. Both are shut at weekends. They're basically now doing exactly the same service as the doctors do so what's the point of them?

JOEYDOESNTSHAREFOOD Mon 24-Apr-17 13:36:46

Have you tried lloyds pharmacy? I get mine from there when I can't get into the GP, six months supply for £18. Some have late opening hours, you might get Luck pay if your nearest is tonight.

OliviaBenson Mon 24-Apr-17 13:37:04

Can you ring the Drs back and ask for a 1month prescription and at the same time book an appointment? I've had to do that before.

Bleurghghghgh Mon 24-Apr-17 13:45:16

Olivia, the doctors won't give me them at all without me going in first as they've not given me them before, its always been through the clinic

Joey I'll try them but I'm not too keen on spending £18 on something that I've previously always had for free when I'm also paying for an NHS pre payment certificate for other meds.

Grrr. I shouldn't have waited until I'd already virtually run out but I guess that wouldn't have made much difference

Grrr

Bleurghghghgh Mon 24-Apr-17 13:47:34

There is a Lloyds near me that does the online thing but it's £30 for six months

debbs77 Mon 24-Apr-17 13:53:02

I order mine online from pharmacy2u xx

Bleurghghghgh Mon 24-Apr-17 14:12:58

I can't use them either because they get the prescription through my doctors who don't have any record of it

Llanali Mon 24-Apr-17 14:24:22

Tell the receptionists you need an appointment but don't say it's only for the pill. A nurse prescriber would be fine.
Then use condoms or abstain until your appt. ask for an early or late spot so you can go around work l.

Bleurghghghgh Mon 24-Apr-17 14:41:43

That's what I'm going to have to do Llani, but I can't come off the pill in the meantime as if I do my periods will get totally messed up

wickerlampshade Mon 24-Apr-17 16:57:06

It's no huge hassle to stop for a few days. Just use condoms and for two days after you restart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now