Talk

Advanced search

climbing chalk allergy

(6 Posts)
scrabble1 Sun 23-Apr-17 20:58:13

not sure when to post this so hope it is ok here. DS has got a painful, raised rash on his hand. Noticed the skin looking dry yesterday. He has been climbing a few times this week and has just started using a chalk bag. Anyone else had this allergy? Have put some Aveeno on it but now wondering what to do when he goes climbing again on Saturday

MrsTwix Sun 23-Apr-17 21:02:35

Check what brand of chalk he is using, some are just chalk and may well be ok, some have additives and are known to be a problem for some people, (superchalk I think) and make sure he washes hands and moisturises.

He may find he can manage without chalk.

AnnaleeP Sun 23-Apr-17 21:16:48

I'd give the chalk a miss for a little while and see if the rash clears up. It's not completely essential most of the time.

scrabble1 Sun 23-Apr-17 22:13:03

It is a chalk ball from Decathlon

MrsTwix Sun 23-Apr-17 22:38:25

The decathlon ones don't have additives, so he needs to use chalk as little as possible and wash his hands after climbing and moisturise.

This stuff gets good reviews but I haven't tried it myself. www.urbanrock.com/climb-on-bar

PossumInAPearTree Sun 23-Apr-17 22:45:01

Climbing scrapes and grazes your hands quite a bit, if he's been jamming into cracks, etc. Chalk gets into the little scrapes and can make them irritated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now