Talk

Advanced search

London honeymoon

(85 Posts)
lorelairoryemily Sun 23-Apr-17 20:07:33

Not an aibu, posting here for traffic. Thinking of going to London in September on our honeymoon. Looking for suggestions for a fancy pants hotel(central if possible) and some ideas for places to go, things to see etc..

FreeButtonBee Sun 23-Apr-17 20:11:21

Dean street townhouse for a hotel. In soho

The restaurant is excellent. You could also go to Ronnie Scott's

Petersham nurseries (a lovely restaurant) in Richmond is lovely. Get the train to Richmond, walk through town and along the river then across the meadows had a lovely lunchtime then walk back. Lovely.

Other restaurants: kitty fishers, little social, the river cafe (Hammersmith, another one you can do a river walk), Wright brothers in borough,

Mine are all food related blush

CaulkheadNorth Sun 23-Apr-17 20:12:05

Have you been to London before? Do you want to do all the touristy bits or suggestions of other places?

GreenHariboBear Sun 23-Apr-17 20:13:10

Covent Garden Hotel is looooovely and central, next to Seven Dials.
Check Sky Garden, it has bars and restaurants with amazing views. Same with The Shard. Check Time Out, a play/musical/show might tempt you...

Have you ever been to London? What are your interest? Art? Theatre?Sightseeing?

WhatKatyDidnt Sun 23-Apr-17 20:13:13

Would love to stay in the St Pancras hotel.

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sun 23-Apr-17 20:14:51

Hi OP, sounds like a lovely honeymoon idea! smile I know it's still fairly early, but what kind of budget are you looking into?

In terms of hotels, the Landmark hotel in Marylebone is gorgeous (and they have an amazing afternoon tea!) or there's the Renaissance St Pancras Hotel just next to King's Cross station.

The Wolseley restaurant on Piccadilly does lovely afternoon teas as well (quite a bit more reasonable than at the Landmark!) and they apparently do great breakfasts too.

It's also well worth having a walk around the London parks - Hyde Park and Green Park are some of the bigger ones, and St James's Park is a bit smaller, and maybe having a picnic in the park too!

You can also hire a Boris Bike for some sightseeing - might be a nice idea smile

Shoxfordian Sun 23-Apr-17 20:15:35

Cumberland hotel by marble arch is lovely or if you really want a smart hotel then obviously the Ritz or the Savoy

What sort of things did you want to do?

Southbank is a good area for dinner and drinks

If you like steak then try to go to a Hawksmoor because they're amazing. There's a few in London so have a Google

Champagne Charlie's is also very good- near Embankment

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sun 23-Apr-17 20:18:31

Ooh it might be nice as well to have a wander around Borough Market (by the Shard and London Bridge) or Broadway market in Hackney, a bit more to the east. Oh and Brick Lane is also nice too - they have an amazing chocolate shop called Dark Sugars, and the salt beef bagels are to die for wink

lorelairoryemily Sun 23-Apr-17 20:21:01

Button I'm a huge foodie so your suggestions suit me perfectly!! Thank you!

lorelairoryemily Sun 23-Apr-17 20:23:35

No budget as such! I've been to London once briefly, didn't see anything at all! We're Irish, we want to do the touristy stuff and stay somewhere really nice, reason for choosing London is we're leaving ds(1) at home with my mam so we don't want to go very far and we both want to see London! My mam is from Croydon but we've never beenblush

dmango Sun 23-Apr-17 20:24:25

I second the St Pancras hotel, they have an amazing cocktail bar! Also the Wolseley is fantastic for breakfast and feels very special. I also love the Clos Maggiore restaurant in Covent Garden, it is beautiful with a delicious menu and I think it's been voted the most romantic restaurant! Good luck with you wedding & honeymoon

lorelairoryemily Sun 23-Apr-17 20:25:43

Thanks mango! Googling now!!

Shoxfordian Sun 23-Apr-17 20:26:38

If you like art and design then try the Victoria & Albert museum also the National Gallery and the Tate. If you want to see any particular exhibitions then best to book in advance. I also try to get to these places as they open at 10 before they get too busy

MommaGee Sun 23-Apr-17 20:29:48

We love Natural History Museum. They used to do a cool thing last Friday of the month where its adults only, there's line music and you can see most of the exhibits without queuing. Was my favorite thing. Also love the V&A.

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Sun 23-Apr-17 21:02:45

The ticket booth in Leicester Square has tickets for shows at reduced price - don't expect to see the really popular stuff like Harry Potter, but they have some excellent offers smile
You can take a trip on the river - just google Thames cruises - and see lots of tourist sights en route; or a trip on an open-topped tourist bus lets you see lots of different bits of London.
We honeymooned in London (many, many moons ago..!) and have never forgotten it - it's a magical place wink

emsyj37 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:09:15

The Bleeding Heart is lovely for dinner - think it has been named one of the ten most romantic restaurants in the UK. DH and I stayed at Duke's the night we got engaged - it's very nice, but there are lots of very nice hotels in London to choose from!
Have a wonderful trip. Greenwich is beautiful for a day out (we used to live near there, in Blackheath).

tissuesosoft Sun 23-Apr-17 21:11:17

Mondrian hotel is lovely- they have bars and a restaurant. Right on the Thames next to the Oxo Tower, very close to the London Eye etc

CowPatRoberts Sun 23-Apr-17 21:12:53

Oo yes OP!! The Landmark in Marylebone has one of the most beautiful restaurants in London, check out open table for dining offers and go in the evening if you can as it has such a gorgeous atmosphere.

CazY777 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:13:13

I always fancied staying here www.royalgardenhotel.co.uk but it is expensive. Great location by Hyde Park.

CowPatRoberts Sun 23-Apr-17 21:13:51

Here!

CowPatRoberts Sun 23-Apr-17 21:14:44

Also have you got a tastecard? It could save you a lot on dining out, or a Gourmet Society card. I think they do a lot of trials if you google.

PetalMettle Sun 23-Apr-17 21:14:56

My mind always goes blank with these things so I tend to just agree with what other posters have said. Sky garden is great but you need to book in advance. There's a restaurant or you can just book to go up there. I'd do the former as reataiwsnt is overpriced and weirdly set in from the windows. If you do want dinner with a view duck and waffle is excellent but again needs booking in advance. It's open 24 hours so you could go at 3am or something
Galvin at windows is nice for cocktails
Greenwich is lovely and very compact. Getting a boat there would be ideal.

WantToBeABetterDIL Sun 23-Apr-17 21:15:40

One Aldwych Hotel was fabulous. Also as a foodie check out Restaurant Story - it's amazing smile

LondonSkylar Sun 23-Apr-17 21:17:29

What a lovely idea!! And if you're a foodie, here are a few ideas :-)

For brunch with a view, try the Duck&Waffle. On a Saturday or Sunday, you could also have brunch in one of the cute places on Bermondsey Street (The Garrison or Village East are great) and then head to nearby Maltby Street Market to check out the stalls.

For drinks, I'd definitely recommend the Shard or maybe the riverside terrace at Somerset House if the weather is good. One of the hotels might also be fun for drinks, The Savoy or Claridge's for example. The Dandelyan Bar at the Mondrian on Southbank is also brilliant.

For pub lunch, The Albion in Islington is brilliant - there's a great garden. Lunch is also good at the restaurant in Tate Modern but try and avoid weekends as it gets very very busy...

For evening meals, there are lots of great places but some of my favourites are:
- Moro in Exmouth Market (amazing food)
- Honey & Co (small but serves delicious food)
- Blacklock on Great Windmill Street in Soho (noisy but the best meat)
- Roast in Borough Market (British with a twist and a beautiful room)
- Baltic in Southwark (if you like baltic/polish food, this is the place to go)
- Pizza East in Shoreditch (for pizzas with a hipster feeling)
- Blanchette in Soho (French and romantic)
- The Duck & Rice in Soho (Chinese, cool)

If you want to do different/less touristy things, a few suggestions could be:
- A film at the BFI on Southbank (have a cocktail in the bar first, it's lovely)
- A walk on Hampstead Heath
- Walking along Regent's Canal from Islington to Broadway Market
- An opera or ballet at Royal Opera House as an alternative to a musical or a concert in Royal Albert Hall
- Skygarden for the view (remember you need to book tickets, they open up two-three weeks in advance and disappear fast)
- St. Martin-in-the-Field in Covent Garden often has concerts on so if you like classical music that's worth checking out

snapple21 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:19:19

Nothing to add but following as planning a trip this summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now