Advanced search

To ask for legal advice (scotland)

(10 Posts)
Shoegirly Sun 23-Apr-17 19:32:47

Need advice urgently.husband and I separated 8 months ago. He was financially and emotionally abusive throughout marriage,no access to any bank accounts,being given £10 a week spends etc
I have been living in marital home with 3 dcs and he has continued to pay all bills etc. This was at his behest as he refused to discuss selling house.
He is still controlling me financially only giving me a minimal amount for kids so tonight I brought up selling house again. He basically told me I will not get a penny as he bought it before we married and that I am liable for half of debt.
I know I need to seek legal advice something I have put off as he has threatened to move back in. CAN any one give me some quick advice on here. We are in Scotland by the way. Mortgage and debts in his nAme only.

loveka Sun 23-Apr-17 19:37:13

No debt can be transferred to another person. You are not liable for any debt he has.

However, if the house were sold then the proceeds could go towards the debt. I THINK it would be taken from his share though.

loveka Sun 23-Apr-17 19:38:09

Have a look on the Step change website. Also moneysaving expert debt free wannabe forum.

Squirmy65ghyg Sun 23-Apr-17 19:40:28

Get legal advice and DON'T tell him anything.

I'm not 100% sure on where you stand legally but someone will know.

Shoegirly Sun 23-Apr-17 19:40:52

Hi thanks. I was told by citizens advice that credit card debt was his as in his name. But be said I am liable for other debt as he took a loan to buy car (I don't drive and he needs to drive for work)
I should have said he is also a solicitor and I a sahm and I know for a fact that the company he works for will have no compunction in lying for him.

CoconutOilWink Sun 23-Apr-17 19:43:24

I work at a solicitors we (and most other reputable solicitors) will offer a free initial consultation. This is usually about an hour where they will ask you about your situation and discuss the options. You can get quotes for potential work but are not obligated to proceed (make this clear during or after the meeting i.e avaoid waiting till after the letter of engagement is issued).

They'll be able to tell you at that appointment what you're likely to be liable for etc.

Try someone local and get advice on your situation from an expert in the field smile

Squirmy65ghyg Sun 23-Apr-17 19:43:43

From a quick google, house is half hours even if it's not matrimonial property as it was used as the family home.

Debts usually shared I think. How much is the debt?

Squirmy65ghyg Sun 23-Apr-17 19:45:05

That's good CAB told you that about the debt.

Don't let him bully you. Can you say roughly your area and maybe someone can recommend a good lawyer?

8misskitty8 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:48:00

All loans in his name are his debt only, you are not liable.
Did you sign any paperwork for the car loan ? If not then it's nothing to do with you.

John4703 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:48:01

In Scotland most, or I think all) solicitors will offer one hour of advice free.
Speak to a lawyer. I lost a massive amount when my exW and I split up 17 years ago. (I've since met the most wonderful woman in this world and am really happy but the fact my ex bitch and her new bf kept so much still hurts)
You need to get specific legal advice from a Scottish solicitor

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: