Talk

Advanced search

Learn language on mat leave

(20 Posts)
beetrootsalad Sun 23-Apr-17 15:47:32

Hi I know this isn't the right thread but I wasn't sure where to post. I'm thinking of starting language classes for mums on mat leave. The difference to classes that already exist is that they're not for the babies i.e. singing the Hokey Cokey in French, they're for the mums. You'd get out to meet other mums who are knackered and going what you're going through but you all want to use your brains a bit as well. It wouldn't be hard, more fun. What do you think? Would they prove popular? Would you go?

Oysterbabe Sun 23-Apr-17 15:50:44

Can you bring the baby? If not then no.

GoodForgetter Sun 23-Apr-17 15:51:58

I'd seriously consider it, yes.

Familyof3or4 Sun 23-Apr-17 15:52:14

Not for me I'm afraid. Too hard to concentrate when sleep deprived and probably too pricey

beetrootsalad Sun 23-Apr-17 15:59:39

Yeah yes can bring the baby so it would be like any other class, baby sensory, massage, buggyfit etc. except you'd be doing stuff with the babies whilst you're learning. It would have to be really easy I understand everyone is sleep deprived and missing a few brain cells, it's just that some people I think get sick of the same conversations about sleep, teething, feeding etc. and going to classes singing row row row your boat, it would be nice to use those few brain cells that you have left! It wouldn't cost any more than other baby classes.

HashtagPenelope82 Sun 23-Apr-17 16:00:12

Sounds like a great idea but agree with previous posters, potentially too sleep deprived to concentrate and would be really distracting to supervise/ entertain baby at the same time as learning.

Oysterbabe Sun 23-Apr-17 16:02:14

I'm just not sure how much useful learning I could do while looking after a baby and when I hadn't slept. I had grand plans for maternity leave but in fact was just pleased if I managed to shower.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Sun 23-Apr-17 16:02:28

I'm not really interested in learning a language so that wouldn't interest me personally but I think the concept is good - something adult orientated that you can bring babies to. I went to mum & babies circuits - I could exercise and the baby was left on a mat in the middle so it was something for me rather than orientated around the baby. It made a nice change from the baby Sensory classes etc that I went to.

UppityHumpty Sun 23-Apr-17 16:12:18

Do it. My friends are currently taking 1 year masters during their mat leaves. Use universities with childcare etc etc. Education is a really good way to open horizons/upskilling.

KateDaniels2 Sun 23-Apr-17 16:15:29

Its one of those things that sounds great. But actually wouldnt be so great in practice.

An environment with a few babies isnt great for concentrating and most mums will be knackered or miss some parts if their babies wont settle. And probably forget most of it in 20 mins due to brain drain.

Buy no reason you cant give it a go and drop out if its not for you.

eurochick Sun 23-Apr-17 16:24:28

If someone told me they were planning to learn a language on mat leave my reaction would be "this is your first, isn't it?"

Cagliostro Sun 23-Apr-17 16:35:18

That would really appeal to me! I struggled with the lack of mental stimulation after the DCs were born.

Also I found regular baby groups incredibly hard socially (I have since been diagnosed with Aspergers) - having this kind of focus would have really helped me and I think I'd have found it easier.

Elledouble Sun 23-Apr-17 16:40:35

I like the idea. Not sure how much one would achieve while sleep deprived and dealing with babies, but I would have liked something a bit more cerebral to do when I was on maternity leave.

user1492636556 Sun 23-Apr-17 16:59:31

I think it's great idea! Definitely give it a go at least.

CheshireChat Sun 23-Apr-17 17:03:52

There's no way I would've managed with DS as he was a very difficult newborn, how would you manage to teach anything over screaming babies?

How would you keep the babies entertained when they start crawling? I tried an exercise class with my son and wasted most of the time preventing him from getting into mischief.

Also, 12 months at the most isn't really enough to learn a language, just the basics and some extra so what happens afterwards?

CheshireChat Sun 23-Apr-17 17:06:18

Not trying to be negative, sorry. I like the idea in theory, it's just I don't see it working in practice.

I would've loved something like this when DS was little and felt my brain was rotting away and was bored and lonely.

haveacupoftea Sun 23-Apr-17 17:08:40

It's not an entirely terrible idea, but most new mums I think would like to have a useful accredited qualification that would help them find a new job if they are going out of their way to learn.

UppityHumpty Sun 23-Apr-17 17:12:32

Appreciate there are new mums out there who can't do it, but please don't tar everyone with the same brush. Some new mums have more support, or maybe need to upskill during a mat leave. Many women do it and they do it really successfully.

beetrootsalad Sun 23-Apr-17 18:55:11

This is really interesting! Thanks for all your thoughts, lots to think about

katienana Sun 23-Apr-17 18:58:58

I think a mum's book club might be more achievable. Or a discussion group...Or something with pampering of some sort!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now