Talk

Advanced search

Can I use a parent and child space?

(48 Posts)
lalaland1985 Sun 23-Apr-17 15:03:03

I'm currently 37 weeks and HUGE! Would it be acceptable to mumsnetters to use a parent and child space?

UppityHumpty Sun 23-Apr-17 15:03:35

Fuck what MNetters think, just do it.

JustAKitten Sun 23-Apr-17 15:03:45

Do it.

KateDaniels2 Sun 23-Apr-17 15:04:11

Anyone can use a p&c. They arent like disabled spots.

There is nothing anyone can do to stop you parking in them.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Sun 23-Apr-17 15:14:20

You've got a non-detachable baby with you!

I used them in the second half of my first pregnancy. Between a large bump and short legs, I barely fitted behind the steering wheel and had to open the drivers door to maximum to contort my way out. SPD also meant every step counted. (I had to give up on the supermarket completely at 34 weeks as the pain became intolerable). I didn't have the energy to park up the quiet end of the car park, and couldn't risk someone parking near my door as I couldn't climb through the passenger side or stagger back to the shop to report it. At 37 weeks I couldn't fit in the driver's seat close enough to reach the pedals anymore so that was the end of driving for the rest of the pregnancy.

Sirzy Sun 23-Apr-17 15:17:07

Use it!

SoloDance Sun 23-Apr-17 15:18:54

Use one. I use them with my elderly mum who struggles to get out of the car. No one has ever yelled at me.grin

KrayKray00 Sun 23-Apr-17 15:21:14

I did when I was heavily pregnant with my second as I suffered really bad spd. I was once questioned by someone where is my child whilst I was obviously about to pop and also had crutches a women wanted me to move space so her and her 10-12(ish) year old could have it.

I am not entitled or believe I "deserve that space" but if I could of rammed my crutch up her arse I would of.

Laiste Sun 23-Apr-17 15:22:37

You're a parent with a child. Use it.

Devorak Sun 23-Apr-17 15:25:07

Where are you talking about? A supermarket? Of course you can. Much like disabled bays in the private car parks, you can stop wherever you want with no laws being broken.

TaliDiNozzo Sun 23-Apr-17 15:27:53

You can use them if you have a child or not, if you're pregnant or not. So it's up to you.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 23-Apr-17 15:27:57

Do you really need mn permission?

Park where you like.

gingeristhenewblack43 Sun 23-Apr-17 15:28:41

I used them when heavily pg. At my local sainsbury I puller into a P&C space and the security guard was walking past, he noticed I had no child in the car with me and shook his head at me. I got out and he spotted my very large bump and apologised.

I struggled to get in and out of the car by then so the guaranteed extra space to open my car door was definitely needed.

Birthdaypartyangstiness Sun 23-Apr-17 15:35:04

Do it.

Toward the end of my second pregnancy, could barely walk, needed to pee every 5 mins, and needed the car door wide open to get in and out. Not much choice really. And after one incident when I couldn't fit in the tiny space between my car and the car parked next to me, worsened by the fact that I couldn't find anyone confident enough with an automatic to get the car out for me, I did so with no guilt whatsoever.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 23-Apr-17 15:36:34

I would tbh.

MrsRhubarb Sun 23-Apr-17 15:36:42

I remember thinking this at about 37 weeks. I had DD with me, so it didn't really matter either way, but I definitely needed the extra space between me and the next car to get in and out!

LuxCoDespondent Sun 23-Apr-17 15:38:00

Anyone can use a parent & child space, they have no legal weight. Technically you should not be using it because a pregnant woman would be counted as a single individual, but I doubt anyone will complain (let's face it, at your stage of pregnancy it should be pretty obvious what you're up to).

BakerBear Sun 23-Apr-17 15:41:32

I use them. I do have a 4 year old though but if i dont have her with me then i use them as currently 39 weeks and have awful pgp.

I obviously dont use them if im not pregnant and i dont have dd with me

WankingMonkey Sun 23-Apr-17 15:47:57

Yup..I would.

EleanorRigbysNeice Sun 23-Apr-17 15:48:33

Do it. No question

cdtaylornats Sun 23-Apr-17 15:50:41

Just tell anyone who complains that by the time you shop you might well be eligible grin

MongerTruffle Sun 23-Apr-17 15:51:12

Do it, and hope that you don't get fined:

metro.co.uk/2016/03/20/nine-months-pregnant-woman-fined-for-parking-in-mother-and-child-bay-5763307/

Yes, I used to but only went at quiet times when I knew there would be loads free!

PovertyPain Sun 23-Apr-17 15:54:28

I have terrible sciatica at the minute, with pains down both legs. I have to turn in the seat and put both legs out, so I used one yesterday. Not pregnant but couldn't and wouldn't use the disabled parking as my youngest, who is disabled, wasn't with me.

ragdoll700 Sun 23-Apr-17 15:58:14

Yes I used them when I got really big as I needed the space to get in an out of the car

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now