Advanced search

to wonder what on earth this is?

(16 Posts)
itstimeforchange Sun 23-Apr-17 14:01:16

An acquaintance of mine posted this on FB recently. Apparently her family has had it for years but no one knows what it is. It's about 3 inches tall and the metal things release apart when you press the top downwards.

I wouldn't have paid much attention except that I'm SURE I saw one on a very recent trip to a national trust place, so it is now bugging me!

Any ideas? I feel sure I should know! The closest idea I have is something for straining veg...

SaucyJack Sun 23-Apr-17 14:02:52

Hardcore butt plug?

newdaddie Sun 23-Apr-17 14:03:54

It's a dalek baby

SheSaidHeSaid Sun 23-Apr-17 14:04:46

It's an oojamaflip

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 23-Apr-17 14:09:51

It looks like a kitchen gadget. Perhaps you place half a lemon on top to squeeze the juice out?

SoloDance Sun 23-Apr-17 14:11:10

It's a thingymebob

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 23-Apr-17 14:12:36

I think it may be something you put in a saucepan of boiling wster,release the metal parts down to the side of the pan and place veg on to steam them. Early steamer.

everymummy Sun 23-Apr-17 14:12:36

A kong for a Victorian dog?

anotherpoisonprince Sun 23-Apr-17 14:14:37

Late Victorian Doodar. Quite rare I believe.

frieda909 Sun 23-Apr-17 14:15:19

Does it have any markings on it? A manufacturer or the place it was made?

nerdgasm Sun 23-Apr-17 14:25:26

I work in a museum and we get emails asking us to identify stuff like this all the time! I can't offer anything very helpful on this one myself but if she emails some pics to a museum then someone should be able to help! My wild guess would be that it's made in the 60s or 70s but it's difficult to say much without seeing more photos of the different sides, what it looks like open etc.

itstimeforchange Sun 23-Apr-17 18:38:54

Hmm, i might have to ask her for more photos then!

newdaddie Baby Dalek is the favourite over here, too.

fedupwithmyself Sun 23-Apr-17 19:16:21

Could it just be a part from and old machine of some kind

cleanasawhistle Sun 23-Apr-17 19:43:57

My OH thinks you would run butter,cheese or pastry past it to leave a curved edge pattern.
Pushing down on it would change the angles

nympthinyellow Sun 23-Apr-17 20:53:42

I'm sure it's a steamer as someone else said, my mum has one very similar bit it hasn't got the cream bit in the middle. Same idea though, you put down the metal bits, but in the pan and put your veg in it to steam. I think anyway hmm

dontbesillyhenry Sun 23-Apr-17 20:55:11

An ancient Egyptian speculum?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: