Talk

Advanced search

To ask where I can get decent eggs in a supermarket??

(14 Posts)
WanderingNotLost Sun 23-Apr-17 13:37:49

I want to be able to get proper ethical free range eggs. There are no farmers markets or anything like that near me, I have an enormous Tesco a 2 minute walk away and a Sainsbury's about 20 minutes walk. I know the supermarket definition of free range is tenuous at best- can anyone recommend a brand that is actually trustworthy??

monniemae Sun 23-Apr-17 13:39:40

Get organic. The organic ones are usually better than free range. Or get them delivered? People like Iverford will do organic free range eggs for only slightly more. In Sainsbury's, get the own brand organic, burford browns or Clarence's court

bumbleymummy Sun 23-Apr-17 13:41:26

Buy organic eggs. They have higher welfare standards. You can read about soil association egg standards here smile

Clawdy Sun 23-Apr-17 13:47:49

Clarence Court seem to be ethically sound free range eggs, after doing a bit of research online, I now only buy those. The Co-op sell them.

Mamabear14 Sun 23-Apr-17 13:48:42

I get Clarence court ones too. They seem to be the best you can get.

DevilWearsPrimark Sun 23-Apr-17 13:50:19

Soil association approved eggs (organic) are the highest standards, otherwise Clarence Court?
The male chick are still killed shortly after hatching, im not sure if there are brand that don't dispose of males.

PeaFaceMcgee Sun 23-Apr-17 13:53:38

Have you room for some chickens?

GogoGobo Sun 23-Apr-17 14:20:07

I only buy soil association ones. Organic, highest welfare and NO beak lasering, which is horrific for a bird to endure!
Daylesford eggs via Ocado and ones from Riverford organics are my two "go to". Both are Soil Association approved and certified. I emailed Clarence Court and asked them if they "beak trimmed" and they wouldn't give a straight answer. Apparently EU organic standard still allows for beak trimming. 😩

Tulipsaregold Sun 23-Apr-17 14:32:00

I like clarence court too and burford browns

UppityHumpty Sun 23-Apr-17 15:11:52

CostCo

BellyBean Sun 23-Apr-17 15:12:04

Don't forget I don't think any are truly free range at the mo due to bird flu scare they're all being kept in doors. Don't think it's changed yet.

PickAChew Sun 23-Apr-17 15:16:02

We buy Clarence court or other eggs from hens kept in small flocks, when we can't get them direct from a local farm (one where the chickens are so free range that they try to get into your car with you!)

Lockheart Sun 23-Apr-17 15:21:48

The restrictions on having poultry outside have been lifted in most of the country now. I agree with other posters that I get Clarence Court eggs. Avoid the Happy Egg Company like the plague!

Lockheart Sun 23-Apr-17 15:25:01

If you want eggs that have come from birds which have not had their beaks trimmed, look for ones marked with the Soil Associations stamp, or if you go to Waitrose then their Blacktail eggs are also beak-trim free I understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now