Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think that Labour needs to offer alot more than four additional bank holidays

(126 Posts)
strayduck Sun 23-Apr-17 09:13:46

Surely they need to bring more to their manifesto!!!
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39682388

strayduck Sun 23-Apr-17 09:22:41

Brexit, economy, schooling, NHS issues, but no, the first thing they publicise are four extra bank holidays!

TheMonkeyandthePlywoodViolin Sun 23-Apr-17 09:24:03

Have you read their manifesto? Or just a BBC article mentioning one thing? Strange and ignorant thread

Goldfishjane Sun 23-Apr-17 09:25:52

And look at the timing of them!
They are Labour, I want them to tax the super rich, increase the min wage, maybe even have a wage ceiling, a wealth tax on those with accumulated £10m, more rights for workers.
Extra bank holidays aren't on my worry list.

Babbaganush Sun 23-Apr-17 09:27:32

While I would welcome additional bank holidays having them on the dates they propose would be madness!!! 1 March and 17 March and 23 April - far too close together !!! Plus Easter always falls in March / April - it would have a negative affect on schools and business to have so many in such a short space of time!!

AlwaysTheWinner Sun 23-Apr-17 09:27:54

Their manifesto isn't written out yet. They've announced this because it's St George's Day. It's just a gimmick.

Goldfishjane Sun 23-Apr-17 09:27:59

Is the manifesto out yet?

TheMonkeyandthePlywoodViolin Sun 23-Apr-17 09:35:23

From MN at moment i cant decide whether lots of people have been brainwashed by the media or there are a LOT of Tory activists/plants on MN. Honestly.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Sun 23-Apr-17 09:37:52

They could over trips to the moon for us all it isn't going to make any difference

Four extra bank holidays, £10 minimum wage, more money for the NHS and education along with renationalising the railways

All this while needing more money to cover costs of leaving the EU but not raising basic income tax ....

DrinkMilkAndKickAss Sun 23-Apr-17 09:39:37

Pp they've pledged to raise minimum wage to £10 p/h and also talked a lot about considerable tax raises for the wealthy and on private schools. I'm sure the intention was for this to draw attention to their actual policies rather than detract from them as it seems to have done!

<disclaimer floating voter here>

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Sun 23-Apr-17 09:40:29

FFS what about pledging to protect the NHS, ban franking and get rid of tuition fees?

And no, they're not raising everyone's income tax. They are getting rid of tax breaks and avoidance for the super rich though, which I think you'll find could easily find your trip to the moon...and back

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Sun 23-Apr-17 09:41:26

*fund

Babbaganush Sun 23-Apr-17 09:44:57

Corbyn has just confirmed it on the Andrew Marr show. There would be 5 bank holidays over March / April !!! Quickly followed by the two May bank holidays!

Goldfishjane Sun 23-Apr-17 09:45:37

Bugger " They are getting rid of tax breaks and avoidance for the super rich though"

If this is in the manifesto I will be very pleased. But previous
Labour government didn't seem to care about this.

Sorry, what's franking?

TheMonkeyandthePlywoodViolin Sun 23-Apr-17 09:47:24

Why are people assuming this is their whole manifesto? confused

GaelicSiog Sun 23-Apr-17 09:49:11

The labour policies announced so far are all absolutely hilarious tbh. Bank holidays, tuition fees, it reeks of desperately trying to tell the public what they want to hear with no real plan to implement it.

Squeegle Sun 23-Apr-17 09:49:14

Does anyone know where I can read all the manifestos? I hate the way we are all manipulated by focusing on whatever any news organisation decides to pull out and highlight. We are just lemmings being pushed whichever way...

TheMonkeyandthePlywoodViolin Sun 23-Apr-17 09:49:51

No tuition fees,.how hilarious hmm

GaelicSiog Sun 23-Apr-17 09:51:16

I will believe it when I see how he plans to implement it, monkey. I really, really want it to be true because the tuition fee situation right now is a joke. But last election labour promised to cut tuition fees, and the manifesto failed to outline how they would balance the books.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Sun 23-Apr-17 09:51:55

This will raise its estimated £2 billion pounds

And increasing of 1p on basic income tax is around £5 billion pounds

The cost of renationalising the rail network is estimated at £4.5 billion pounds (huge amounts of money are also needed for improvements) and building more lines)

More taxes should be paid by the rich (is that over £1 million or £70k) may sound good but nothing more than that like I said simple student union politics with little to back it up this is what Corbyn's Labour has been reduced to

GaelicSiog Sun 23-Apr-17 09:52:06

I'm not saying the policies are hilarious, they are great policies. But they are hilariously out of touch with reality.

strayduck Sun 23-Apr-17 09:52:27

I have read the 10 pledges on their website which as I understand will form tge manifesto.
The 10 pledges are worthwhile and valid however I don't believe the budget is there to action.

I await more substance.

mnpeasantry Sun 23-Apr-17 09:56:48

Nope - literally just cemented my vote after being completely unsure. Good work Jezza. Finally pulled something out the hat.

specialsubject Sun 23-Apr-17 10:04:00

London based fuckwittery from people who clearly never go outside . it would make more sense to space the holidays we have to take account of our weather. That means late march, early June, mid July, mid September.

The current timetable is driven by religious dates and stupid traditions and wastes loads of energy.

Silvertap Sun 23-Apr-17 10:10:33

Brilliant. Are all those labour voters going to pay more for their food that it'll produce me to cost if I have to pay my staff extra for working 4 more bank holidays?

Complete pie in the sky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now