Talk

Advanced search

to love my hamster?

(10 Posts)
buccon Sun 23-Apr-17 00:47:45

Ok, so I'm probably being very silly here and I respect that people post on here with very real problems (unlike mine) but...
I do love my hamster so much. She's the third we've had in the family. The first two were ok (much like hamsters really) and we got them for the children.
I'm a very responsible pet owner and of course I made sure they were well cared for, cleaned out regularly, exercised, given attention etc. BUT none were like our latest (Topsy - of course not her real name) as she is really in a hamster world of her own.
She is actually my daughters hamster . My daughter ADORES her completely, my son also does - he's eleven and wouldn't admit to it but
We all adore Topsy (I stress NOT HER REAL NAME ;-)) but she's 2.5 years old now which is old for a hamster I know. We can't possibly replace her but
I'm going to be devastated when she goes, as I think the kids will be too.
She is so loved - do you think that might make her live a little longer? There is absolutely nothing wrong with her right now she runs about like she is
a teenager and no lumps or anything.
I'm bloody stupid I know, and yes I have had very serious stuff in my life to deal with absolutely, hence my AIBU but I can't help it!!
I've met people completely in love with their fish too so just wondering if you have been in love with any weird pets, not dogs/cats etc. I'm in love with my dog and cat but that's normal - hamster maybe not I feel!!
I don't know , she's so clever I love her almost as much as my cat and I've had him for 11 years!! She's special...

StrawberryJelly00 Sun 23-Apr-17 00:56:36

Wtf hmm

MitzyLeFrouf Sun 23-Apr-17 00:56:41

Have you had a few glasses of vino this Saturday night and started contemplating the deeper issues? Personally I think Topsy (not her real name) knows she's on to a good thing and her family's love will most definitely prolong her life. But still the day of Topsy's reckoning is coming and that's the downside of being a pet owner, they die and we're devastated. But they're worth it and even when she's gone, to roll about in the plastic hamster ball in the sky, you'll be able to look at one another and say 'that Topsy, she was a queen among pet rodents'.

Much love to Topsy and her tipsy owner. 🐭💁🍷

MitzyLeFrouf Sun 23-Apr-17 00:58:12

Ignore the comment before mine. Strawberry has clearly never known true rodent love. HER LIFE IS THE POORER FOR IT.

Meekonsandwich Sun 23-Apr-17 01:05:32

I have two hamsters at the moment!
One Syrian and one roborovski!
Theyre so funny and brighten my day, they are great pets but it's a shame they're nocturnal!

sniffle12 Sun 23-Apr-17 01:09:32

This was why I couldn't have any more rats after my first two. You do fall in love with them and the rodent lifespan is just too short sad

GetInTheFuckingSea Sun 23-Apr-17 01:13:51

My boyfriend when I was a teen had a hamster. It used to run round in its wheel when we were shagging. Fecking thing.

Cambazola Sun 23-Apr-17 01:16:33

I'm with you OP. You go through the whole life of a hamster in such a few years - young and crazy (weeing in his bed, eating all the food in one go), middle aged and sensible (wee in wee corner, store food for when you need it) and old and doddery (wee everywhere, don't eat much). I loved both our hamsters too.

DontFuckingSayIt Sun 23-Apr-17 01:26:39

I love my hamster too, he's great.

ilovechoc1987 Sun 23-Apr-17 01:43:21

Nothing wrong with that op 🤗
My Labrador passed away last year and I'm still grieving now :,(

My cat is nearly 7 and I adore him and our new dog has spent the last 2 nights with my parents and i miss her like crazy!

Iv owned hamsters and the last 2 we've had didn't last long sadly. Rose only lasted a week! Within a few days she was doing weird backflips, took her to the vet and they said there was nothing they could do, so I took her home and she died in my hands, so so sad.
The next hamster after that died because I stupidly left her bed open and our cat got in and she died of shock (my children still don't know the truth!.)

I had a hamster that lasted 3 1/2 years though his name was travis and he was very special to me, and Iv also kept pet rats that have lasted 6 years.
Our goldfish is now 10 years old and her tank takes up most of our dining room, but I refuse to get her a smaller one.

I too have had terrible experiences in life, but one of the most poignant ones was losing my Labrador, I cry at least 3 times a week and it's been 14 months since he passed.
So don't feel you're alone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now