Talk

Advanced search

To get so angry at cold and dead" air calls

(14 Posts)
poppy2021 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:03:26

Surely 8pm on a Saturday evening is not appropriate for these types of calls. I was off work recently following surgery and then working at home for a couple of weeks and was plagued with them.

elodie2000 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:07:50

YANBU

Oldraver Sat 22-Apr-17 20:09:02

I have recently bought a new phone with Call Guardian on...it has totally stopped these type of calls

ALetter Sat 22-Apr-17 20:12:09

What's a cold and dead air call?

gamerchick Sat 22-Apr-17 20:13:27

It's just an auto dialler checking the lines live.

SheepyFun Sat 22-Apr-17 20:18:49

Oldraver I'm not sure how your Call Guardian works, but unfortunately calls from our local hospital come from withheld/private numbers. When you're waiting for an appointment/results, you really don't want to miss their calls. Though those don't usually come at 8pm on a Saturday. But if you're next of kin for someone who's been admitted, you just have to answer every call at any time.

Oldraver Sat 22-Apr-17 20:26:08

Call Guardian works by announcing to the person calling that they must say who they are..then the phone rings and tells you who the caller is, and you can either accept or refuse.

So a real person will get through if they want. I assume genuine people ringing... like those from a hospital, will be used to dealing with call gaurdian, it only takes a few seconds.It stops the auto dialler calls.

You can also pre-approve regular numbers so they get through straight away...I've just had my Mother call...and I had forgot to add her to the list grin

museumum Sat 22-Apr-17 20:28:06

It's a computer dialling and it does my head in. Apparently TPS doesn't actually prevent these.
I'm this close >< to just unplugging our landline.

poppy2021 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:32:42

Me too museum. I don't want to not answer in case it's my elderly Mum or my daughters but it drives me to distraction. And when you get a real person and you tell them, politely, that you're not interested and then they hang up...... so rude angry

museumum Sat 22-Apr-17 20:38:41

My family including older parents are now trained to call my mobile.
I check messages on the landline about once a week and don't answer it.

poppy2021 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:41:00

That may be an option museum

GiantDuckRampage Sat 22-Apr-17 20:47:28

We haven't had the home phone plugged in for about a year as we only use mobiles, had to plug it in for something recently and forgot to unplug it, 6am got a dead air phone call angryangry

thatorchidmoment Sat 22-Apr-17 21:03:48

Call guardian has stopped our cold calls dead in their tracks. It's been absolutely wonderful not to sprint to the phone at inconvenient times to answer the rubbish junk calls we used to get! You can choose to add numbers to your accepted list, so your parents don't have to announce themselves every time, etc.

geddes Sat 22-Apr-17 21:06:43

Those dead air calls are fucking antisocial. We gave up our land line because of it.

I rarely answer withheld numbers on my mobile either. If it's important they'll leave a message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now