Talk

Advanced search

To not like go fund me

(11 Posts)
summersloegin Sat 22-Apr-17 18:21:32

Does anyone think it's just begging really?

steff13 Sat 22-Apr-17 18:25:08

Yes, it is. If you don't like it, don't use it. Sometimes people need financial help, go fund me is a way to get their stories out there.

BeBeatrix Sat 22-Apr-17 18:30:54

Agree.

I guess there might be the odd exception, like for an ill child to have an operation abroad or something like that, but my usual reaction is to be amazed people aren't embarrassed to beg like that, for non-essentials!

RainbowsAndUnicorn Sat 22-Apr-17 18:40:04

Hate it too, it's a sign of how entitled we have become as a society expecting others to pay for everything.

JustAKitten Sat 22-Apr-17 18:45:56

So don't donate. hmm

TJDetweiler Sat 22-Apr-17 18:50:04

What annoys me is the massive cut they take. When I see a child needing an operation and I know gofundme are going to profit from the fundraising it makes me quite angry.

CouldOfHadItAll Sat 22-Apr-17 18:57:52

www.reddit.com/r/DontFundMe/

BackforGood Sat 22-Apr-17 18:58:31

Agree.
I mean begging when you are desperate is one thing, but begging just because you think you would like something is beyond my comprehension.
More though, I can't understand why anyone would donate.

DoIDareDisturbTheUniverse Sat 22-Apr-17 19:00:39

I genuinely don't understand why people don't like it. It's there for people to use. If you don't like it, don't donate.

thecatsarecrazy Sat 22-Apr-17 19:01:52

I don't mind donating to a worthy cause but some are piss takers.
I used to be friends with someone who's partners family are quite well off. Own a number of business. He was involved in a car accident and broke his leg. He ended up in a hospital about 2 hours away and she set up a page on one of these asking for money so her and their daughters could stay in a hotel near by hmm. It was even in the local paper. I was in hospital for a month with my baby son, away from my dh and other 2 children. 2 hours drive each way. Dh had to come up every few days with clean clothes. It would never enter my head to ask for money not even from family.

cocobatter Sat 22-Apr-17 19:27:22

I knew someone who did a gofundme page for a motorbike. Page said something 'I'm jobhunting at the minute and a bike would make things easier, so please give everything you can!' I came across it and didn't say anything but I was [shocked]. Then when we met up a while later he was telling me about this 'great site' where you can 'get people to give you free stuff'. I stayed well out of it. But I couldn't resist a smirk when he then texted about 2 weeks later to tell me the site was a 'scam' as he'd got zero donations grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now