Talk

Advanced search

"what a pedophile lion" wtf??? Narnia sullied forever

(52 Posts)
Evelight Sat 22-Apr-17 15:32:34

last night I was reading "The Horse and His Boy" to DS- which is one my favourite childhood books and favourite from the Narnia books.

I got to the part where Aslan is walking quietly by Shasta on the mountain pass and "breathing heavily".

DD14 saunters by and makes some comment regarding "ugh that creepy pedophile lion".

I keep on reading and it seems to become even more sexual (perfumed mane... glowing light sweeping Shasta up and he didn't know what was happening...) By this time they are both in hysterical laughter at that "inappropriate creepy old lion"

A part of my childhood is destroyed.

Do ppl feel Aslan the High King Emperor-over-seas is a creepy old pedophile lion?

Did ppl feel he was creepy and inappropriate when first reading the books as a child?

Lumpylumperson Sat 22-Apr-17 15:34:58

Noooooooo.

Asian isn't creepy at all!

He's brand and wise and tolerates silly, moany, giggling children who should no better than to take sweets from witches.

Lumpylumperson Sat 22-Apr-17 15:35:07

*Aslan

HarrietKettleWasHere Sat 22-Apr-17 15:36:27

I thought Aslan in the LTWATW story is meant to represent Jesus/the second coming...blush

I feel a bit mixed up about all this now grin

Lumpylumperson Sat 22-Apr-17 15:37:02

*Brave not brand.

Wow. Clearly I must proof read more.

TBF I don't see anything sexual at all in those lines either. Maybe the breathing heavily but he was out walking but as for the perfumed mane and sweeping light. Totally not seeing the innuendo there confused

ollieplimsoles Sat 22-Apr-17 15:38:04

<sits patiently and waits for the christians>

chantico Sat 22-Apr-17 15:38:40

No, he's part of a Christian allegory, and things like using the most perfumed oils as an honourific is a normal thing in that context. The breath of God is, in Christian allegory, a reference to the Holy Spirit.

I shows that DD does not know much about Christianity, nor much about the allegory in these books.

crazymissdaisy Sat 22-Apr-17 15:39:16

It's the last book that sullies Narnia, where Susan doesn't get to go to heaven as she "is no longer a friend of Narnia", as she is said to be interested in boys and stockings and lipsticks (ie an adult woman). So if anyone was a creepy old perv, it wasn't Aslan.....

lizzieoak Sat 22-Apr-17 15:39:49

Aslan was meant to represent Christ. No-one thought he was a pedophile lion - partly because people did not think that way and partly because he's a bloody lion (& a noble and kindly one) in a children's story. Ignore your 14 year old, I expect she thought she was being amusing.

OrlandaFuriosa Sat 22-Apr-17 15:40:04

Oh noooo.

I love The Horse and his Boy, including the title.

Rubbish. Utter rubbish. He's kind to loathsome unkind dwarves, he's liked and respected by wise trees, oaks and beeches. He's kind to a remarkably stupid but sweet donkey who has to imitate him. He can be a comforting cat when you are scared in a graveyard.

Rubbish.

Will have to unthink that.

crazymissdaisy Sat 22-Apr-17 15:41:00

Quickly adding: I love CS Lewis: his sci fi and his lit crit, and his popular theology as well as the Narnia books, it's just that final bit about Susan that I am uncomfortable with, it's very excluding and a bit weird.

OrlandaFuriosa Sat 22-Apr-17 15:41:09

Ollie, you got them. grin

OrlandaFuriosa Sat 22-Apr-17 15:41:33

Miss daisy, I agree.

AuntieStella Sat 22-Apr-17 15:41:50

You don't have to be Christian to know that these books are Christian allegory!

Nor to know some of the major features of how Christianity is represented in literature and art (nigh on impossible to study at degree level without some knowledge of the symbolism, and depending on your set texts, pretty inescapable at A level too)

Lumpylumperson Sat 22-Apr-17 15:41:51

<sits patiently and waits for the christians>

Wow. Never see <sits patiently and waits for the muslims/Sikhs/Buddists>

Forgot that all groups of people must be respected on MN except the Christians of course. They are stupid Sky-fairy believing weirdos.

hmm

ollieplimsoles Sat 22-Apr-17 15:43:10

Wonderful missdaisy my thoughts exactly, really spoiled the books for me too at the end, especially when I thought back on it when I was older.

lizzieoak Sat 22-Apr-17 15:43:52

So many of these stories are coming of age sagas. The parents are conveniently absent and the children go through tests to mature. Susan had aged out and her priorities had changed and she may have not been able to enter via the wardrobe as she would not have been able to believe in the possibility (as with adulthood comes disenchantment). Nothing pervy there either, just normal coming of age stuff.

chantico Sat 22-Apr-17 15:44:17

My post crossed with ollie's

grin

Don't actually see why it's a problem to say that books which are a famous Christian allegory are a Christian allegory .....

Evelight Sat 22-Apr-17 15:45:24

TBF I went to a seriously Christian private school for a few years as a kid and became a devout christian for a few yrs as a result (My parents weren't christian but they felt that was the best school around)- and I failed to pick upon the christian allegory too when reading Narnia as a kid... only learned about it later as an adult.

Once you have the sexual innuendo planted in your brain, it's very hard to read that scene NOT sexually.

ollieplimsoles Sat 22-Apr-17 15:45:32

Forgot that all groups of people must be respected on MN except the Christians of course. They are stupid Sky-fairy believing weirdos.

No religion is worthy of automatic respect.

lizzieoak Sat 22-Apr-17 15:46:14

Seconding Auntie Stella. I'm not Christian but it doesn't stop me knowing Christian allegory, knowing Lewis' personal history etc.

upperlimit Sat 22-Apr-17 15:47:14

Yeah but ET was definitely a paedophile <stirs pot>

Lumpylumperson Sat 22-Apr-17 15:47:15

No religion is worthy of automatic respect.

I said groups of people not religions.

AuntieStella Sat 22-Apr-17 15:48:28

"Wow. Never see <sits patiently and waits for the muslims/Sikhs/Buddists>"

Well, you wouldn't expect that on a thread about an avowed Christian allegory.

It would however be totally appropriate on an allegory pertaining to their faiths. Have you actually seen a thread about such a Muslim/Sikh/Buddhist allegory which expected comments from Christians rather than from the faith relevant to that particular thread?

ShiroiKoibito Sat 22-Apr-17 15:51:01

"It's the last book that sullies Narnia, where Susan doesn't get to go to heaven as she "is no longer a friend of Narnia", as she is said to be interested in boys and stockings and lipsticks (ie an adult woman). So if anyone was a creepy old perv, it wasn't Aslan."

agreed - i read these recently as as adult (mostly) and was really upset to notice all the Christian references that i had missed as a child

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now