Talk

Advanced search

Gina Miller anti-Brexit campaign raises £250k so far

(77 Posts)
Pariswhenitdrizzles Sat 22-Apr-17 14:00:04

Maybe I am being a bit unreasonable (I expect lots of MN 'biscuits' to come my way on this thread wink), but just wanted to put this here anyway.

Gina Miller, who started the court case against the British government over Brexit, has started an online Go Fund Me campaign to support MPs who oppose hard Brexit.

It has been fairly well publicised (I'm sorry if there already another thread on this! blush), but she's raised £250,000 so far (as of 22nd April) and I just wanted to link to it here in case you'd be interested in finding out more.

Thank you everyone smile

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sat 22-Apr-17 14:00:35

*if there is

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sat 22-Apr-17 14:32:11

Anyone? smile

ClopySow Sat 22-Apr-17 14:37:29

I like her, she's got guts.

IvankaTrudeau Sat 22-Apr-17 14:40:23

Yes me too Clopy.

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sat 22-Apr-17 14:40:37

Me too smile wish her all the best.

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sat 22-Apr-17 14:41:23

(Also Ivanka I love your username! grin)

IvankaTrudeau Sat 22-Apr-17 14:43:34

Thanks Paris grin
That's my second compliment on it today <preens>

specialsubject Sat 22-Apr-17 15:00:33

MPs are supported by votes and campaigns. The former is free and the latter need not cost £250k in the internet age.

Votes are not identified as tactical. Your vote is listed as supporting that candidate.

Don't protest, don't march, get off your arse and vote!

UnconventionalWarfare Sat 22-Apr-17 15:05:20

Gina Miller oh that over privileged self righteous fuckwit here have a biccie op biscuit

ClopySow Sat 22-Apr-17 15:11:08

I'm quite glad she's self righteous, she made sure the government was forced to follow the law. Grand stuff.

roarityroar Sat 22-Apr-17 15:11:56

I would donate a future £250k to shut her up

Deadsouls Sat 22-Apr-17 15:15:17

Thanks for the link

Anon1234567890 Sat 22-Apr-17 15:20:35

Oh God not her again, using other people money to fund her own ego. When will she realize that we are leaving the EU and nothing she does is going to stop us.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Sat 22-Apr-17 15:23:13

I have issues with go-beg-me pages - all of them. It's about time online begging was made illegal.

VoodooPeople Sat 22-Apr-17 15:46:58

"and I just wanted to link to it here in case you'd be interested in donating your cold hard cash finding out more."

smile

Floggingmolly Sat 22-Apr-17 15:49:29

What's the money going to be used for, exactly? "Supporting" MP's? With what?

RebelAllianceUK Sat 22-Apr-17 15:52:16

As I understand, it's to campaign to allow people to vote on the actual brexit package as opposed to the original Leave manifesto now been debunked (Turkey), withdrawn (red bus BS) or confessed to as being totally false by the government (the "we always had full parliamentary sovereignty" white paper reference).

Of course, it's astonishing that we live is a so-called civilized nation where the Leave campaign has admitted it only won because so many people bought their lies, and the volume of CPS investigations into MPs for corruption raises serious doubt as to whether the party which authorized the referendum should have even been in power in the first place.

I think that whatever the political persuasion, at least that we can all agree it would be deeply neglectful to pass constitutional change depriving this country' children of their current freedoms without performing basic due diligence regarding this decision.

InfiniteSheldon Sat 22-Apr-17 15:57:25

I think it would be deeply neglectful to ignore a majority decision guaranteeing freedom for our beloved children from an unwanted wasteful supranational level of government just to further line the pockets of already rich people.

tiggytape Sat 22-Apr-17 15:59:21

As I understand, it's to campaign to allow people to vote on the actual brexit package as opposed to the original Leave manifesto now been debunked (Turkey), withdrawn (red bus BS) or confessed to as being totally false by the government (the "we always had full parliamentary sovereignty" white paper reference).

That's not quite what is said. It is money to support candidates in marginal seats who vow to fight for a "Full and Free" vote on the final deal (whatever that means - it doesn't actually say a public vote as opposed to a parliamentary vote).
Those candidates would of course need to exist in large enough numbers in the House of Commons to force whoever was in power to have any vote since both Tories and Labour have said they will not hold a second referendum on the final deal.

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Sat 22-Apr-17 16:00:05

It's a shame when the only opposition to the idiocy that is brexit comes from outside parliament. But there it is. I will be donating op, thanks.

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sat 22-Apr-17 16:01:15

You both make really good points Flogging and Rebel.

To be quite honest, I didn't find the explanations very clear about what the money raised from the campaign will be used for. Is it going to support MPs who are in favour of a 'soft' Brexit or rejoining the EU? Or (as Rebel mentions) will it be used for campaigning to give everyone in Britain a say on the terms of a finalised Brexit deal?

MiltopMighty Sat 22-Apr-17 16:02:33

We have donated. Thanks OP.

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sat 22-Apr-17 16:03:44

Infinite I wouldn't say that the 'supranational level of government' is 'unwanted'.

By some people, yes, of course it is unwanted. But other people clearly want Britain to be a part of the EU.

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sat 22-Apr-17 16:04:06

Thanks Karlos and Miltop smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now