Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In thinking it's best to hand lost property into the police...

(12 Posts)
LoudestRoar Sat 22-Apr-17 13:45:59

Rather than keeping it and posting on Facebook to try and find the owners?
Seen yet another 'found this phone on the bus, if you can tell us what the home screen photo is of, or you can unlock it, you can have it back. If not, we will hand it in to the police after a week.'
Grrr, you should be handing it in to the police or the driver anyway! Fair enough to then post on FB to say where you found it, and where it's handed in, but they shouldn't keep the item themselves.
AIBU to think people that do this, do it to try and get the 'glory ' from the person who lost it in the first place?

BigGreenOlives Sat 22-Apr-17 13:47:59

Our local police station won't take lost property anymore sad.

TeaStory Sat 22-Apr-17 13:48:10

YABU. My local police force have said they will no longer take lost property and suggest posting on social media instead.

LoudestRoar Sat 22-Apr-17 13:49:05

Really? I didn't know that (obviously! 😀) I'll just get down off my high horse then.....

CaulkheadNorth Sat 22-Apr-17 13:49:17

Police don't take lost property...

OuchBollocks Sat 22-Apr-17 13:49:43

An awful lot of small towns don't have police stations anywhere near them. Police don't proactively search for owners of lost property, neither do transport companies. In my town there's a very active local Facebook group and most found property is reunited with its owner within about 48 hours. So I think yes YABU.

PaintingByNumbers Sat 22-Apr-17 13:50:36

our police do still accept mobiles but not other lost property. I wouldnt.hand a phone in straight away though, keep it charged, they ring it, you arrange to hand it over. simple.

pringlecat Sat 22-Apr-17 13:51:14

I handed a phone into the police today. I took one look at the phone, pressed a button, thought, yeahhh, I have no idea how this works, and went straight to the station and reported where I had found the phone. In the old days, you could just unlock a phone, find "Mum" in the contacts list, call and reunite the phone with the owner. Too hard these days with the different models, operating systems and levels of security! I have no idea what the police are going to do with it, but presumably they're smarter than me.

MatildaTheCat Sat 22-Apr-17 13:51:23

Unless it's an item of high value I find it a weird concept that the police would be dealing with lost property at all. Perhaps some other service should exist but not the over stretched police service.

I was forced to call them to report my lost phone for insurance purposes and felt an idiot ( though they were fine and speedy in issuing a report number).

AddToBasket Sat 22-Apr-17 13:53:58

I tried to take a pair of £££ Le Chameau wellies to the police - they weren't having it.

I felt so bad for the person who left them on the pavement. They'd clearly got in their car early morning and just not packed them in the boot.

UppityHumpty Sat 22-Apr-17 14:01:13

Yabu. Most police stations don't bother Even taking i. If they do take lost property they don't make any effort to find the owners and will just sell it off in auction after a period of time. Fb is the best option for everything except credit/debit cards

GavelRavel Sat 22-Apr-17 14:03:29

Yeah same here ours won't take it anymore and say social media is more effective. I have to say our local community FB site has lots property on it about once a week and it usually seems to be reunited with grateful owners very quickly. We found an expensive way h at the train station and the guy that came to pick it up was in tears as he's recently inherited it from his dad. I've never heard of anyone actually retrieve anything from a police station. This seems like one pretty positive thing about social.media to me, amongst all the bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now