Talk

Advanced search

To wait over 7 months for flood repair as landlords insurance being funny

(9 Posts)
Rose1ofmy5aday Sat 22-Apr-17 13:43:59

Hi, I'm looking for some advise on repair time scales and rent abatement if anyone could help.

We had a massive flood in our rented house over 7 months ago. We rent through rental agent.
When it happened we had we were offered no help. DH bought industrial water Hoover things and dehumidifiers, then spent two days suctioning litre after litre from all the carpets. We were thanked by the agents.

Fast forward 7 months and nothing has been done except for a viewing with insurance people to asses damage.

We are missing plasterwork on the landing, the back hall had what I can only describe as stains that look like stretch marks. The paint work is damaged down the stairs.

It was a massive flood from a blocked gutter and we have emails from two years ago saying the moss needs to be moved before there is a flood!

Am I being unreasonable to say that it's not our problem that the landlords insurance is dragging their heels. That's not for us as tenants to know, they just need to fix it and how it's paid for is their business.

It looks a right mess. Should we now be asking for rent abatement for the 7 month period that it's been like this?

If I'm honest I'm getting a little tired of our agent/tenant relationship. Crap happens, we wait for it to be sorted, we're then thanked but if for example a bank error lead to a missed payment, we were chatting about repossession very quickly.

It's like it's a business arrangemt when they want it to be but most times thank us for our patience...

Any pearls of wisdom from MN folks would be gratefully received. Thank you!

BlondeBecky1983 Sat 22-Apr-17 13:45:08

Move?

ShatnersWig Sat 22-Apr-17 13:46:11

Might be worth heading over to Legal Matters, think this needs people who know what they're talking about

Rose1ofmy5aday Sat 22-Apr-17 13:50:08

Blondebecky - you're right! We're currently viewing everything that comes up locally - Rightmove alerts and everything!

LIZS Sat 22-Apr-17 13:56:52

If the cause was lack of maintenance they may not be covered or it might be in dispute between buildings and ll insurer.

MatildaTheCat Sat 22-Apr-17 13:59:17

If you threaten to move it may speed them up since it will cost them repairs in order to relet plus the expense of finding new tenants .

DavidbowieMime Sat 22-Apr-17 13:59:19

which insurer they are not asprea are they?

is there any mould?

Rose1ofmy5aday Sat 22-Apr-17 14:04:12

LIZS I was there when the insurance assessor was there. It was a localised flooding event and other places including the high st flooded so they were seemingly happy to accept the quantity of rain as the reason.
However, I do have emails dated two years prior warning of floods etc if the moss wasn't cleared. 6 month prior to the major flood we had a mini flood in exactly the same place for the same reason. No maintenance was done to protect against further flood.

Rose1ofmy5aday Sat 22-Apr-17 14:07:20

Davidbowieminime I'm not sure who the insurer is without checking paperwork which isn't nearby. Do they have a bad reputation?

We do have mold but it's not hugely major compared to the missing ceiling so we haven't focused on it. We tend to just get on with it unfortunately for us I now think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now