Talk

Advanced search

Neutral Clothes?

(15 Posts)
user1492528619 Sat 22-Apr-17 12:58:01

We went out for a family meal yesterday evening and my son (a toddler) was wearing Navy-checked T-Bars and Pink shorts with a grey t-shirt. My sister and her husband eventually revealed they thought he was dressed like a girl.

It was the shorts that they couldn't get past as they were 'too girly'. AIBU to think that you can dress boys in pink in 2017 without expecting to be bloody ridiculed?

user1488721675 Sat 22-Apr-17 13:04:04

YANBU, it's just a colour, my boys wear pink, my husband wears pink, my daughter wears pink, blue, orange with green bloody spots, they shouldn't make ridiculous comments.

ChipIn Sat 22-Apr-17 13:05:53

YANBU. I have an 18 month old DD and am getting pissed off at all the princess tees and sparkly jumpers. Girls can wear blue tees that say 'brave' and boys can wear pink shorts.

JustAKitten Sat 22-Apr-17 13:09:24

YANBU. They're just clothes, why would they be girls clothes?

Armadillostoes Sat 22-Apr-17 13:10:13

YANBU and your Dsis and her DH have just revealed that they aren't very bright.

WorraLiberty Sat 22-Apr-17 13:11:10

I'm going to assume you're new to MN

Otherwise you really wouldn't need to ask this question grin

LookAtTheFlowersKerry Sat 22-Apr-17 13:11:51

Ha! This reminds me of my SIL. She stayed up all night on the first night they were in their new house as her son's bedroom was purple and he couldn't possibly sleep in there until she'd painted it blue.

user1492528619 Sat 22-Apr-17 13:19:14

Thank you all, the rest of the table balked at them and their subsequent suggestion that we put his jumper (navy striped) on and pull his highchair to the table to hide his legs to others hmm

He has all sorts in that colour so God knows what they have said behind our backs!

user1492528619 Sat 22-Apr-17 13:21:31

Kerry My sister would get on very well with your SIL. We didn't find out the gender and she was very stressed on our behalf that he wouldn't have anything blue as a newborn.

This is the first time in fifteen months it's been directly addressed as opposed to side comments. I don't dressed my child head to foot in navy and khaki, shoot me.

Rainatnight Sat 22-Apr-17 13:24:06

So ignorant. I have a 10 month old DD and dress her in all sorts of colours, but often blue and navy because they really suit her. EVERYONE assumes that she's a boy on those days (and I know some babies look completely gender neutral, but she really does have a 'girl's' face and a giant mop of hair).

The sparkly princess stuff pisses me off no end.

housesellingrant Sat 22-Apr-17 13:25:58

Traditionally pink was a boy colour and blue for a girl. Not sure why it when oy changed.
DD wears a lot of blue and also I buy her boy trousers as they are better for climbing about in.

WorraLiberty Sat 22-Apr-17 13:36:21

the rest of the table balked at them and their subsequent suggestion that we put his jumper (navy striped) on and pull his highchair to the table to hide his legs to others

Seriously?

UppityHumpty Sat 22-Apr-17 13:40:07

Yanbu. I always buy my neices and nephews pastels - pinks, mint - I think it looks classy. Maybe next time call them out over their ignorance

ChickenMe Sat 22-Apr-17 13:50:26

He sounds very stylish.
Good retort to unwanted opinions like that "that's nice" change subject.

user1492528619 Sat 22-Apr-17 14:04:50

Thanks for all the comments and support.

I just laughed and looked at her and continued with my conversation, my mum had a bit of a word with her afterwards and we all left.

I'd usually let things like this slide off my back but it's really grated me, he was premature and we nearly lost him. I'd have liked to have thought his family wouldn't give one about what he was wearing, more to his health.

Now't queer as folk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now