Talk

Advanced search

to ask about weight loss?

(12 Posts)
TheoriginalKB Sat 22-Apr-17 11:00:46

AIBU to ask if you have lost weight how did you do it, how much did you lose and how long did it take?
Also how long have you maintained it for?
I am desperately in need of inspiration/motivation.

marabounuts Sat 22-Apr-17 11:03:26

how what is your weight now and how much do you want to shift? what is your nutrition like? depends on so many things. I can easily lose a bit by cutting calorie intake but I have far heavier friends who only managed with outside support (slimming world etc).

stevie69 Sat 22-Apr-17 11:13:27

I lost just under six stones in total at WeightWatchers. I'm at target weight now but I still go to class every week. I'm an over eater and so I need to constantly manage things and I find my WW group brilliant for that.

I did it in phases. The first three stones or so came off in a year and then it took me another six years to finally hit target. That's quite unusual though and was just the way I wanted to do it (my plan was to be at target by the time I hit 50, which I was).

With sustained effort, a six stones weight loss is quite achievable in a year. Setting small, manageable targets works well for many people, so 2lb in the next week, rather then getting overwhelmed with the overall task.

Good luck and do feel free to PM me if you think that I could help you.

Stevie xx

KateDaniels2 Sat 22-Apr-17 11:18:09

I lost 6 stone and have been around the same weight for 5 years.

Low carbing and making sure i got fat in my diet. I have pcos and when i eat carbs, i put weight on. Even within my calorie allowance. Most carbs make me feel bloated and sluggish anyway.

The only carbs i have are occassional sweet potatoes and carbs in fruit and veg.

Dont even miss bread and pasta anymore. I do make sure fat isnt really high and eat healthy 90% of the time.

Deliaskis Sat 22-Apr-17 11:28:11

I lost 5 stone over slightly longer than a year, about 3 years ago. I've gone to and down by about half a stone since then but never more.

Did it through :

Stop eating crap at work
No alcohol in the week
No snacks
Fat less highly processed food
Lower carb higher protein meals in general
Mild calorie counting (to understand target then to restrict)
I stated walking which then worked up to running

I am struggling for exercise mojo at the moment, but will get back into it.

The main thing that made a difference to me was to change my mindset. It was never about dieting or denying myself nice things. It was about looking after myself, being kind to myself, giving my body a chance to help me feel better and more able to cope with life and a then small child. This made a massive difference and meant it wasn't even hard.

TheoriginalKB Sat 22-Apr-17 12:46:23

Sorry for the delay in replying, I got distracted by the pesky kids.
I am currently 19stone 5 so I have a lot to lose.
I would be happy to lose just a couple of stone, anything would be better than where I am now but I am starting to believe it is not actually possible sad
It's reassuring to here that a couple of people have managed to lose a large amount of weight.
I have to go out now but it would be good to read other success stories later.

Mandraki Sun 23-Apr-17 09:01:51

I lost 3 stone with slimming world in 2014, took me about 6 months, and kept it off until the last few weeks when I have gained about 5 pounds, I am 16 weeks pregnant though! Would reccomend slimming world, very easy to do and it's basically just healthy eating (if you do it properly and don't live on mug shots and muller light yoghurts), I'll be going back after I've had the baby to lose whatever I gain with the pregnancy.

Moanyoldcow Sun 23-Apr-17 09:06:37

I'm currently 20 st 6lb and was 21st 10 lb at the start of the year. I'm low carb high fat as it's easy and I'm not hungry.

I've been on a bit of downer past month - haven't been strict but not gained. Look st the diet doctor website - very helpful weight loss resource.

A friend of mind lost 3 or 4 stone, size 20 to size 14. She's kept it off for about 8 years now.

sadeyedladyofthelowlands63 Sun 23-Apr-17 09:12:57

I lost nearly six stone following Slimming World. I kept it off for about ten years. Recently I've gained about a stone due to a mixture of personal/health issues, but it is slowly coming off again.

positivity123 Sun 23-Apr-17 09:13:50

I found 5 2 worked well, I lost a stone and kept it off but more importantly I totally reevaluated my relationship with food and hunger which means I have kept it off even though I no longer do it. I bought 2 books about it and read them cover to cover then joined the mumsnet thread which I REALLY recommend. I set myself a start date then kept a food diary while I was doing it. I also excercise twice a week and went for a brisk 30 mins walk every lunch time.

Weight loss is hard and it is all in your head. Congratulations on admitting you need to do something about it, I'm sure you can do it.

chocolatey123 Sun 23-Apr-17 09:14:08

I lost 3.5 stones with Slimming World after numerous failed attempts to go it alone. As I lost weight and felt better I added in some running, got really fit and started to enjoy exercise for the first time in my life.

Only kept it off for 18 months because I then fell pregnant. I'm 7 months now and still try to loosely follow the plan but obviously that's not my priority at the moment. Having said that, I'm still fitter and healthier than before I lost the weight, so overall I'm still happier than I was and I intend to return to Slimming World if possible once I've had the baby.

Slimming World doesn't suit everyone though and I always keep an open mind about what else might be helpful. Good luck in finding something that works for you.

TittyGolightly Sun 23-Apr-17 09:14:36

Blood Sugar Diet. I've just lost 2.5 stone in 12 weeks. Sticking to principles now for 4 weeks before another round. Hoping to have lost a total of 5 stone by September.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now